Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Schools on the rise

highroller438highroller438 Posts: 20Registered User New Member
Let's discuss school's whose reputation, prestige, quality, etc. has been or will be on the rise in the coming years. (Feel free to also discuss schools on the fall) I'll start:

Rise:
Pomona College
Rice University
Harvey Mudd College

Will be falling:
Emory (lack of school spirit, many negative student experiences)
WashU (questionable admission policies)
Berkeley and UCLA (California budget cuts)
Post edited by highroller438 on

Replies to: Schools on the rise

• paulaturcottepaulaturcotte Posts: 169Registered User Junior Member
    Hmmm.. I'm intrigued, what are the questionable admission policies you speak of at WashU?
    I think the schools on the rise you listed are interesting, because I am having major application regret about not applying to both Pomona and Rice!! Basically everywhere I applied is cold-ish, and I've lived in Canada my entire life and am now wishing I applied warmer places to escape the cold. I have the "Guidebook to Pomona" at my breakfast table and I look over it every day. I NEED to get over it! haha.
    Sorry, this was more a personal post than anything. But I'd still like to know what went down at WashU.
  • MissPickwickianMissPickwickian Posts: 440Registered User Member
    Rise: Agnes Scott College (one of the Colleges That Change Lives, awesome location, gets more selective every year)

Fall: Notre Dame (kids - even true-blue Catholic kids - just don't put up with homophobia like they used to)
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Posts: 8,546Super Moderator Senior Member
    Pomona College
    Rice University
    Harvey Mudd College

Will be falling:
    Emory (lack of school spirit, many negative student experiences)
    WashU (questionable admission policies)
    Berkeley and UCLA (California budget cuts)
    Pomona and Mudd have reputations about as good as they're going to get. People on CC fall over themselves recommending both -- you'd think Mudd was the only LAC to offer any of the sciences.

Rice's reputation is similarly stagnant. Its admit rates and test scores have stayed almost exactly the same for well over 10 years, in stark contrast to almost any other top university. The rapidly rising cost of attendance is removing Rice's biggest advantage over its peers.

I've always found claims of WUStL's "questionable" admissions policies vastly overstated. Its test scores are higher than all but a half dozen schools (including virtually all Ivies except HYP), so clearly it's not waitlisting "overqualified" applicants. Furthermore, its yield would be much higher than its current 28-30% if it did practice yield protection. Instead, its yield is almost exactly where one would predict it to be.

"Many" negative student experiences at Emory? You are acquainted with a considerable chunk of the student population there? 95% of freshmen return for their sophomore year; they could transfer elsewhere should they so choose.

USC is perhaps the fastest rising star. Only five years ago when I was in high school, it worked extremely hard to attract high scoring applicants by encouraging students to apply during their junior year and matriculate during their senior year (simultaneously finishing high school). Back then, USC was a safe match for someone considering the Ivies or other elites. In those five years, it has seen a tremendous boom in selectivity and popularity.
  • highroller438highroller438 Posts: 20Registered User New Member
    link to a threat about washu : http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/washington-university-st-louis/855977-what-exactly-did-wustl-do-rankings.html

(btw if anyone could tell me how to just link the thread title instead of url that would be greatly appreciated)
    It's automatic :) and thanks.
  • highroller438highroller438 Posts: 20Registered User New Member
    Although the schools I named are undoubtedly good schools, there is always room to grow. Somebody has to knock off hyps sometime, right?

for example: rice could easily be considered regional school

also, on this board i have seen numerous people assert williams/amherst as better schools although pomona has higher sat scores and the most fulbright (in addition to having a top engineering and govt/polisci school to take advantage of)
  • alam1alam1 Posts: 1,065Registered User Member
    lol highroller is so off

Emory is actually on the rise because it is starting to get significant notice from the International community .... and yes 95 +% of the emory freshman return so I would not say that there are "many" negative experiences.

I have heard UGA in on a rise

Fall:

Top LACs because they seem to be bit more unattractive with the economic crisis.
  • silverturtlesilverturtle Posts: 12,496Registered User Senior Member
    Has the University of Chicago been mentioned yet as being on the rise in terms of lay prestige? I believe it deserves mention.
  • motion12345motion12345 Posts: 1,584Registered User Senior Member
    ^I second that. As well, the University of Pittsburgh is a 'school on the rise,' while I would have to say that many top LACs and Brown are on the decline.

Also, that is not true of Wash U at all...http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/washington-university-st-louis/865140-washus-not-hahvud-but-its-hotter-than-some-ivy-leagues.html
  • d'smomd'smom Posts: 1,761Registered User Member
    I was just mentioning on another thread that I really thing the LAC's from the midwest will be on the rise. Esp. Grinnell, Carelton, St. Olaf, & Macalester.

Great schools!
    Yeah, I think that definitely shows after the 42% (!) rise in apps this year to UChicago!
    highroller - I'd probably venture to say that no schools are going to knock out HYP anytime soon. haha.
  • d'smomd'smom Posts: 1,761Registered User Member
    UChicago is and always has been one of the best schools in the US.
    Not disputing that - just the prestige factor being upped and all.
  • silverturtlesilverturtle Posts: 12,496Registered User Senior Member
    UChicago is and always has been one of the best schools in the US.

Please note my wording of "lay prestige," which is not always directly correlated with actual quality.
  • MissPickwickianMissPickwickian Posts: 440Registered User Member
    NYU used to be a safety school. Now 90% of CCers want to go there.