Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

UC Berkeley on the East coast/midwest

hmmmmmmmhmmmmmmm Posts: 548Registered User Member
edited March 2010 in College Search & Selection
I don't plan on moving out of California anytime soon, but how will my Berkeley degree be viewed in the East and Midwest?

Do people stick up their noses at Berkeley outside of California, or is there more widespread national prestige? (not that prestige is my MAIN driving factor in choosing to go to Berkeley)
Post edited by hmmmmmmm on

Replies to: UC Berkeley on the East coast/midwest

• JohnAdams12JohnAdams12 Posts: 2,587- Senior Member
    RML, thanks for the info on Stanford and Berkeley

any change you can tell us what the size of each graduating class of each school is when you compare numbers like the McKinsey hiring?
  • SWHarborfanSWHarborfan Posts: 672- Member
    My Berkeley degree (and GPA/MCATS) got me in to the top medical schools, on the East Coast. In fact, my GPA was commented upon--because of Cal's grade deflation--during more than one medical school interview.

As well, it wasn't just the academic rigor of Cal, which was reknown, of course, but several of the med school admissions' interviewers seemed to think we were such interesting creatures, coming from Berkeley.

So, yes, a lot of cache, but, even better, it's a wonderful school in a very exciting and beautiful area.
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Posts: 8,772Super Moderator Senior Member
    RML wrote:
    I guess no one from McKenna got into McKinsey last year.
    I heard that 36 CMC students were recruited by McKinsey last year. I can't confirm it, though.

(Hey, why not? Let's all join in and make up numbers. 67 for Duke!)
    hmmmmmmm wrote:
    how will my Berkeley degree be viewed in the East and Midwest?
    People will point and laugh at you, obviously.

Don't you know that not a single one of the 432,000 living Berkeley alumni has ever gotten a job in the East or Midwest? EVER?
  • JohnAdams12JohnAdams12 Posts: 2,587- Senior Member
    RML might point was that when you post comparisons to other schools you should point out that one of the schools graduates about 4-5 times more students than the other, or have your data showing a per student format.
  • rjkofnovirjkofnovi Posts: 8,950Registered User Senior Member
    ^^^So what? Berkeley, along with other top publics, also graduates students in many more disciplines and programs than most smaller schools as well. There are also many larger schools than Berkeley that don't get it's results either in the workplace. UCB is indeed one of the the very top schools in this country!
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Posts: 27,780Registered User Senior Member
    RML is correct, a Berkeley degree does not put you at any disadvantage in applying to some big name companies in the east. It is a highly respectable degree. It will likely be less known by the average joe on the street, however, and the "star power" of Berkeley is still highest in California. Which is the same for basically every other university with the exception of HYP, where "star power" is strongest in its home area.
  • SchmaltzSchmaltz Posts: 3,114- Senior Member
    Notre Dame's star power is probably greater in Chicago and the Northeast than in Indiana.
  • Techie1988Techie1988 Posts: 199Registered User Junior Member
    ...the "star power" of Berkeley is still highest in California.

Actually, the star power of Berkeley is highest overseas, far away from its home area. Just ask RML!
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Posts: 27,780Registered User Senior Member
    And, is ND a more "star power" school in the East Coast than Berkeley is?

For many people in the East, esp Catholics and esp those who are aware of sports, yes, ND will have more star power than Berkeley. So be it, RML. You seem very, very upset at the mere thought that there are people in the United States somewhere who don't automatically bow down to the floor at the mention of Berkeley. I know people everyone don't bow down to my alma mater; so what? It's gotten me everywhere I've wanted to go, and a Berkeley degree will get anyone else where they want to go.