Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What percentage of pre med students are accepted into medical school?

charmedgirl786charmedgirl786 Posts: 81Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2010 in College Search & Selection
I'm interested in going to medical school and got into the below universities for undergrad. But how many of their pre-meds get into medical school? It would help me decide my final college since a good percentage means the college is doing something right.

NYU
Boston U
UC Berkeley
UCLA
George Washington
St. John's

I googled and googled but couldn't find any websites with rankings and numbers. If anyone has any, please send them along.

Thanks!!!
Post edited by charmedgirl786 on

Replies to: What percentage of pre med students are accepted into medical school?

• limabeanslimabeans Posts: 4,745Registered User Senior Member
    Try putting your question on the pre-med forum.

Berkeley is your best (probably most rigorous) school, although UCLA and BU are great for pre-med too. It's all about your gpa and MCAT. You don't even need to be "pre-med" to get into med school. I also heard some schools have a cut-off b/c they want a higher rank on that list you can't find.
  • fogcityfogcity Posts: 2,678Registered User Senior Member
    Try a search on google for "top feeder colleges to medical school". There's a list that the Wall Street Journal produced back in 2005 that might be helpful. Sometimes colleges provide their data on how many of their pre-med applicants got into medical school. So to get very specific you may want to ask each of the colleges on your list what their success rate has been.

But as the previous poster notes, all of this may not be of help to you in making a definite decision. Grades and MCAT scores count for a great deal. So if the college offers the typical science and math courses that matter most (e.g. a strong biology/chemistry sequence), and you do well in them (taking them in whatever major) and score well on your MCAT, you'll have a strong med school application.

From your list, you can't go wrong with UC Berkeley or UCLA.
  • charmedgirl786charmedgirl786 Posts: 81Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks!!! I'll try it in the pre-med forum.
    Yea, right now I'm leaning towards Cal or BU. I google some more :)