Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

NYU Poly vs RPi

BehlV10BehlV10 Posts: 41Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2010 in College Search & Selection
I did post this in the engineering section but I would like some more feedback just in case and I did not see this section before. I was wondering, how does NYU Poly compare to RPI? I live in Yonkers and my dad lives in uptown Manhattan so I think NYU Poly is a safe distance away, and I'm having second thoughts about going all the way to RPI.

How does NYU Poly and RPI stand against each other engineering-wise? I wanted to do Computer/Electrical Engineering and possibly Comp Sci or IT.

I'm getting the same amount of money (about the same) from both of them so that is not really a factor, but NYU Poly is closer and only a trainride away, so should I consider it over RPI or is RPI that much of a better school? Like what's the difference? If RPI is much better then I would go there but if not I'm not sure. I'm looking to find a job in New York after college preferably.

Thank you a ton for any feedback, I'm really concerned about it all and haven't slept too well for the past couple days as a result.
Post edited by BehlV10 on

Replies to: NYU Poly vs RPi

• BehlV10BehlV10 Posts: 41Registered User Junior Member
  • Kristin.91Kristin.91 Posts: 79Registered User Junior Member
    If you are a guy and you like to party then RPI is not the place for you. The social scene is very dull and the male:female ratio too is very low.

Social scene RPI<<<<NYU poly

Academically

RPI>>>>NYU poly

Now it is up to you to decide which one you want
  • BehlV10BehlV10 Posts: 41Registered User Junior Member
    I mean I'm not a huge fan of getting drunk and partying and things like that, but I do love to hangout with friends and go shopping and things like that.
  • Kristin.91Kristin.91 Posts: 79Registered User Junior Member
    RPI is far away from the civilization. NYU poly has an urban campus.

But again RPI is academically stronger than NYU poly. If I was in your place I would select RPI as it has a very strong engineering program. RPI is a top 20 engineering school in the nation.

Best of luck with your decision !
  • SharpTechSharpTech Posts: 70Registered User Junior Member
    I strongly agree that RPI is a much better engineering school. But that's only an engineering school.

On the other hand, NYU-Poly is in the process of integrating into the comprehensive NYU. NYU is a comprehensive univ. that consists of CAS, stern, tisch, law, medical, etc. I think it will be a full part of NYU by the time you are done. You will be eligible to take a few NYU classes as a NYU-Poly student. By being a part of a big school like NYU, you get exposure to things and people outside of technical fields. You will be more open-minded.

It can also be an advantage to have a NYU degree when you have to apply to NYU business, law, and medical schools in the future. Sometimes the future is never predictable.