Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Most prestigious undergraduate degree

johnnyqjohnnyq Posts: 39Registered User Junior Member
Which of these do you believe to be the most prestigious undergrad degree and why?

1. Harvard- Political Science
2. Yale- History
3. Johns Hopkins- Neuroscience
4. Chicago- Economics
5. Penn- Finance
6. MIT- Electrical Engineering
7. Stanford- Physics
8. Princeton- Literature

Personally I would have to go with Princeton literature. Princeton has one of the world's best alumnae system and literature teacher's include Joyce Carol Oates and Toni Morrison.
Post edited by johnnyq on

Replies to: Most prestigious undergraduate degree

• SAT=MyKryptoniteSAT=MyKryptonite Posts: 248Registered User Junior Member
    penn finance
  • habdragon08habdragon08 Posts: 569- Member
    neuroscience or finance
  • collegehelpcollegehelp Posts: 6,297Registered User Senior Member
    (1) MIT-electrical engineering (math and workload are killers)
    (2) Stanford-physics
    (3) Johns Hopkins-neuroscience

If the science/math grads were relocated into poly sci, history, econ, finance, or lit, I think they would find them easier. Am I a science chauvinist? If the ranking were "interesting" or "enjoyable" rather than "prestigious", I would say history and lit.
  • ForeverZeroForeverZero Posts: 804Registered User Member
    It depends on how you define prestige. In terms of usefulness, the most prestigious degree depends on what field you want to go into. Poli sci at Harvard is arguably the best path to becoming a lawyer, finance at Wharton is arguably the best for business, etc. All of these are respectable programs at top-notch universities. It all depends on what type of career you're looking into. If you define prestige in terms of how rigorous it is to get the degree, probably EECS from MIT, which is notoriously difficult.
  • themegastudthemegastud Posts: 868Registered User Member
    I would add Berkeley EECS.
  • im_blueim_blue Posts: 2,142Registered User Senior Member
    1. MIT EE
    2. Stanford Physics
    3. Johns Hopkins Neuroscience
    4. Penn Finance
    5. Chicago Economics
    6. Harvard Political Science
    7. Yale History / Princeton Literature
  • DRabDRab Posts: 6,107Registered User Senior Member
    I'm don't have much knowledge of Latin, but isn't it correct to say that "alumni" is the plural form of "alumnus" and indicates both male and female forms? This doesn't really matter if you are referring to solely the female graduates of Princeton, but I would imagine you are referring to both.
  • themegastudthemegastud Posts: 868Registered User Member
    DRab, you're right.
  • rtkysgrtkysg Posts: 598Registered User Member
    I would add Caltech-physics together with MIT-EE
  • K1ngMeK1ngMe Posts: 46Registered User Junior Member
    isnt princeton famous for their physics?
  • entropicgirlentropicgirl Posts: 450Registered User Member
    Physics is clearly just the best undergraduate degree -- everyone on here keeps talking about it! :)

Anyway, I'd put Stanford physics at the top of my totally subjective prestige chart, just 'cause that's what I'm doing. Princeton is indeed famous for physics (or so said my freshman-year world civ teacher when I turned it down... gee thanks...). But seriously, there's no difference. It just depends what crowd you're talking to...
  • haithmanhaithman Posts: 729Registered User Member
    Princeton - Operations Research and FINANCIAL ENGINEERING! (im clearly biased) :)
  • kfc4ukfc4u Posts: 3,415Registered User Senior Member
    i'm curious to know, what's the most prestigious undergraduate degree for the following schools:

cornell
    brown
    UCLA
    UC Berkeley
    USC
  • DRabDRab Posts: 6,107Registered User Senior Member
    Does that mean "what looks most impressive when you major in it?"

USC Film trumps the others, because about 1% of the applicants are taken. This is assuming we are only talking about undergrad.

Most of the things being discussed are so nearly equally "prestigious" that it's funny.
  • rtkysgrtkysg Posts: 598Registered User Member
    For Berkeley, EECS dept for sure, perhaps together with Chemistry