Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Queens University of Charlotte

nerbsmomnerbsmom Posts: 88Registered User Junior Member
edited September 2010 in College Search & Selection
We are from the Northeast and my son is interested in Queens. Any current students/parents who could share some info? What's the school atmosphere? Do a lot of students go home on the weekends? Son is interested in lacrosse, is that a popular sport?
Any info is welcomed!
Post edited by nerbsmom on

Replies to: Queens University of Charlotte

• ghostbusterghostbuster Posts: 1,590- Senior Member
    One of those off the radar schools. Not a bad school. Yes, some kids go home as they live in NC or nearby northern SC. But there is an increasing resident crowd on campus.

Take a gander at similar schools in that same category. Baccalaureate Schools in in the South.

Look at schools like Hamden Sydney, Bridgewater College, Lynchburg College, Roanoke, Radford, Belmont Abbey College, Barton. All have Lacrosse. All of those are primarily resident colleges, not commuter schools.

Queens is fine and Charlotte is lots of fun. Also look at UNC-Charlotte or UNC-Greensboro.
  • northeastmomnortheastmom Posts: 12,379Registered User Senior Member
    I cannot help with info about sports.

I believe that about half of the students are from NC. There seems to be a healthy number of international students, as well as students from many states in the US, so it is not a suitcase school.

The location is excellent. It is located in a suburban looking section of Charlotte, known as Myers Park.

Strongest majors seem to be in education, nursing, and business (AACSB accredited school). The business school offers majors in marketing and management for undergrads. I believe that there is a new science building in the works, and plans for a new student recreation center. Money is being raised for this and there was a large donation to kick that off (7.5 million was donated recently). There is a new main dining hall and most dorms have had a new facelift and are really nice. In addition to the main dining hall there are a few other places to eat around the campus.

In order to graduate one must have done at least one internship, so everyone who graduates has some real world experience. 90% of its students have had an opportunity going abroad.
  • carrjrrcarrjrr Posts: 11Registered User New Member
    My daughter is a junior at an all girl's private school in Ohio. Lacrosse recruiting is underway and I am researching the schools who are contacting her. I do not know much about Queens-other than what I read in the guidebooks. My son is a freshman at Elon-I wouldn't mind having two in the same state! Thoughts?
  • ncmentorncmentor Posts: 1,346Registered User Senior Member
    Queens is a very nice school and only gets overlooked because NC has such strong public universities and a few great private universities (Duke, Davidson, Elon, Wake).

northeastmom did a good job of describing the school. Mostly I think of it as a older school that cares about students. It has a quaint campus and isn't known for being overly scholarly. I actually think of it as sweet...