Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Hippie colleges?

youreApapioyoureApapio Posts: 22Registered User New Member
hi :)
i'm looking for a small, hippie college that's good in environmental studies and/or biology (i want to major in biology... i think).
i don't care if its a well known college, but i AM interested in a good education.
i get mostly good grades and ok SAT scores. i take a lot of AP classes.
any suggestions?
Post edited by youreApapio on

Replies to: Hippie colleges?

• RedrosesRedroses Posts: 3,293- Senior Member
    What is ok SAT scores? Colorado College, Bard, NYU and Sarah Lawrence come to mind. All expensive though.
  • collegehelpcollegehelp Posts: 6,362Registered User Senior Member
    Hampshire College
  • mom2sonsmom2sons Posts: 441Registered User Member
    Lewis & Clark
  • youreApapioyoureApapio Posts: 22Registered User New Member
    CR: 660
    Writing: 640
    Math: 600

i'm re-taking the SATs in a month or so... so these scores may go up (hopefully!!)
  • inthewingsinthewings Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    With full disclosure of my bias as a Carleton College alum, Carleton could be a great choice for you if your grades and test scores are high enough. It definitely has a hippie vibe (as long as you're a high-performing hippie), and it is very strong in biology and environmental science.
  • trekker5211trekker5211 Posts: 153Registered User Junior Member
    I'm not sure about specifically biology/ES, but Oberlin College in Ohio definitely is a pretty good and VERY hippie college that comes to mind.
  • kelliankellian Posts: 289Registered User Junior Member
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Posts: 8,592Super Moderator Senior Member
    Warren Wilson (practically a commune :cool:) and the College of the Atlantic certainly come to mind, but it must be emphasized that they are small even for LACs. Both are very strong in environmental science for their size and have extremely nice and surprisingly new facilities.

I second all the suggestions so far. Other LACs:

Earlham
    Macalester
    Pitzer
    Whitman

Bennington and Marlboro would fall into this category, but I'm not sure they have sufficient strength in environmental science.

If you're willing to consider small/medium universities:

Evergeen State
    Humboldt State
    Ithaca
    New College of Florida
    UC Santa Cruz (ok, big)
    UNC Asheville
    UVM

Possibly Beloit, Goucher, Skidmore, Vassar (reach), and Wesleyan (reach) as well. Other colleges with strong environmental science programs but not particularly hippie reputations include Allegheny, Connecticut College, Franklin & Marshall, and Kalamazoo.
  • collegeattemptcollegeattempt Posts: 191Registered User Junior Member
    If by "hippie" school you mean schools with a left wing bend, then Wesleyan, Bard, and Reed all come to mind.

The three colleges I mentioned are pretty "hippie"-like, and from the alums that I've managed to find around my neighborhood, Bard is extremely rigorous with regard to the work they give you.

But define "OK SAT scores" and "OK grades" because these are pretty difficult schools to get into.
  • proudwismomproudwismom Posts: 467Registered User Member
    Since you said it doesn't have to be well known...I suggest Northland College in Wisconsin.

The Environmental Liberal Arts College | Northland College | Ashland, WI | (715) 682-1699

You will get a good education in a beautiful area of the country.
  • tk21769tk21769 Posts: 7,438Registered User Senior Member
    Start with Earlham. It's not exactly an extreme hippie college in the Warren Wilson mode, but it is a traditionally Quaker college with a strong focus on peace and social justice. It fits your score profile (less selective than Carleton, Reed, or Oberlin). In recent years it has ranked among the top 10 schools for per capita alumni PhDs in the life sciences/biology.

Colorado College for years was known as a hippie college, though it has lost some of that flavor. The one-course-at-a-time "block plan" and Rocky Mountain location both facilitate field work in the life sciences. It is more selective than Earlham but less so than Carleton.

Small private colleges do tend to be expensive. St. Mary's College of Maryland is one of few small public liberal arts colleges. Not a hippie school, but it has a gorgeous campus and life science programs that benefit from the Chesapeake Bay location. Assuming you're an out-of-state student, full paying at all schools, it would be about $15K cheaper than many of the private alternatives.
  • qialahqialah Posts: 1,604Registered User Senior Member
    For environmental studies, Oberlin has an excellent program. Also check out St. Lawrence University.
  • sozesoze Posts: 1,690Registered User Senior Member
    Wesleyan's College of the Environment
  • ricegalricegal Posts: 1,350Registered User Senior Member
    I second Humboldt State.
  • behappy7behappy7 Posts: 520Registered User Member
    Reportedly the best Grateful Dead show of all time was Cornell May 8, 1977. Tells you something!