Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Dorm Bathrooms

twitter23twitter23 Posts: 44Registered User Junior Member
If we definitely want suite style bathrooms or a private bathroom, is it guaranteed that we will get either one?

I'm just not very comfortable with the whole idea of hall bathrooms? :/
Post edited by twitter23 on

Replies to: Dorm Bathrooms

• RixsRixs Posts: 1,003Registered User Member
    Unfortunately, freshman dorm assignments are pretty much a shot in the dark, I believe.

I'm not a fan of hall bathrooms either. I find public bathrooms awkward, for one.

I mean, I've dealt with communal showers and bathrooms before at summer camps and stuff, it's just the thought of dealing with it for a year or more makes me a little uncomfortable.

I'm especially worried because they always talk about how you need to be careful and make sure your feet don't get fungi and infections, which freaks me out because I have chronic dry skin and my toes sometimes crack open and bleed.

Open foot wounds + probability of foot fungi/infections = me very worried

Anyway, I guess I can deal as long as the people sharing the bathroom are respectful. I don't know how mature or immature any of the people on the floor will be though.

-sigh- The whole bathroom deal is one of the few things I'm worried about. Having to use public/communal bathrooms all the time seems awkward to me, especially as a girl. >< I value my privacy highly, and it's the one thing that's really iffy in college.

Lastly, there's the whole cleaning thing. All the colleges I've visited always say the communal bathrooms are cleaned really well, but...you know? How well is "really well"?

So, anyway, I guess we're in the same boat, huh? ><
  • pmkpmk Posts: 53Registered User Junior Member
    You really can't choose what type of bathroom you'll have. In May, you put down whether you prefer a small, medium, or large dorm and from there it's pretty random.

The majority of dorms have hall baths and people seem to manage fine. I have suite style but the downside to that is that you have to clean it yourselves. In any case you get used to sharing a bathroom pretty quickly.
  • soccerguy315soccerguy315 Posts: 6,673Registered User Senior Member
    when you say "private", if you are looking for your own personal bathroom that is not shared with anyone, you won't get that.

Most of the dorms have hall bathrooms I think. Dupont has suites. That might be the only one of the freshmen dorms?

Hall bathrooms are honestly not a big deal at all... you wear your flip flops to shower, and you sit on the toilet, just like you would if you have a suite bathroom.
  • W&amp;amp;M AdmissionW&amp;M Admission Posts: 2,319College Rep Senior Member
    Just to play devil's advocate, hall bathrooms can generate some great social interactions in that you must leave your room to use the bathroom and you'll realize after 2 hours that you stopped in your friend's room on the way to the bathroom and never actually made it to the restroom. Hall bathrooms are cleaned for you by W&M housekeepers whereas suite bathrooms are not. Something else to consider.