Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Columbia SEAS vs CMU SCS

actprep54actprep54 Posts: 91Registered User Junior Member
edited March 2012 in Columbia University
Columbia SEAS for Computer Science (as a C. Prescott Davis Scholar ... not quite sure how I got this) vs Carnegie Mellon University School of Computer Science.

CMU has a much better CS program than Columbia, but Columbia opens up a lot of opportunities. I'm dead set on CS and am looking into a career in a tech startup (preferred option at the moment) or in finance. I don't want to be a software developer at a big tech company, but I do want to intern at them to gain experience (Google doesn't seem to recruit at Columbia). I want to keep the finance option open till I learn more about it. I also hate Columbia's Core.

Columbia seems the better option for a future, but CMU is the better option for an education. At an undergraduate level, is there a major difference in studying CS at both of these schools?

Both cost the same.
Post edited by actprep54 on

Replies to: Columbia SEAS vs CMU SCS

• actprep54actprep54 Posts: 91Registered User Junior Member
    bump. Please respond.

From my searching of old threads, I've read a lot of negative opinions on the Fu School. Want to know if they are true. Apparently Columbia engineers aren't marketable outside finance.
  • goldenboy8784goldenboy8784 Posts: 1,698Registered User Senior Member
    CMU if you're serious about working for a tech startup. It's connections to Silicon Valley are 2nd only to Stanford, Berkeley and MIT.
  • actprep54actprep54 Posts: 91Registered User Junior Member
    bump. What is Columbia's entrepreneurship program about?