Rococobespierre, 720 is a great score! Unfortunately I won't be of much help in terms of preparing for the Lit test because I didn't do any prep at all. I'd compare it, though, to the multiple choice section of the AP Lang exam as far as difficulty goes. Maybe try and get your hands on some old Lang exams if you can't get any sample Lit ones!
Skeptical of ED due to financial constraints but if I do ED it will be to either Columbia or Brown. Other schools: Penn, Yale, Amherst, Wesleyan, Vanderbilt, UChicago and safeties are Bentley and Villanova.
ealdi94: I would go ahead and do ED if finances are your only concern. The aid packages for ED seem to be just as generous as those for RD, and if it doesn't work out, you can always decline based on financial aid. (Also if your 2011 income was greater than your 2012 income expect a boost in aid when you submit 2012 documents - this is what happened to me.) The only advantage to RD, assuming you have your heart set on an ED school, is potential for admittance to certain programs that are designed to up the yield rate of students and might include perks you'd be interested in (ie scholars programs). But you have to weigh that against the ability to know your decision three to four months ahead...
@neiro6 I know ED financial aid is essentially the same as RD, but my wariness comes from not being able to see financial aid offers from other potential schools which I would be able to view and weigh if I did RD. Also, can you decline an acceptance based on finances if you COULD potentially pay it (narrowly)? Or can you only decline if paying the cost is absolutely out of the question?
@ealdi94 If you really want to play the numbers game, you can apply to ED school + non restrictive EA + state school and compare those offers. Columbia will allow that. Also I imagine if you have any semi-substantiated reason for not being able to pay they will let you out. It'd be pretty crappy of them not to... imagine the PR nightmare that would be "Ivy League School With Boatloads of Money Traps 17-Year-Old in Debt Forever" haha. Also since the FA estimate you get with the ED decision is not final, you can submit documents or competing need-based offers to see if you can get an adjustment before you make your deposit... or even after.
ED to Columbia (CC) and EA to UChicago! I didn't know so many others had the same combination in mind! Anyways, here are my basic stats:
SAT I: 2270
O-Levels: 11A*, 1A, 1B
My school doesn't rank or have a GPA of any sort, so I can't give that information, unfortunately :/.
But good luck to everyone applying, hope to see you all in NYC!
Never mind about CC ED for me.... My family can't take the financial risk that comes with not being able to compare financial aid packages It's still my dream school, though, and hopefully I'll get in RD! Good luck to all of you ED-ers!
Anyone here taking the October/November SATs? Worst feeling you can have is wanting to apply early but still needing to take the SATs. I know the scores aren't everything, but they can seriously make or kill my application right now, seeing I have no "hooks" and typical EC's.
Question: Do we get offered an interview if we're applying early? And does anyone know what the average SAT/ACT scores are for early decision admittants?