Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Do I really have a 75% chance to get into Columbia?

hgual88hgual88 Posts: 46Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in Columbia University
My guidance counselor thinks that I have a 75% chance of getting in, but I don't feel nearly as confident. I was curious to see how my application looks through the eyes of college-confidentialers :)

SAT: 2360 (800 M, 760 CR, 800 W)
ACT: 35
SAT II: US History (800), Chemistry (800), Bio M (800)
GPA: 98.24 average (unweighted)

APs junior year: 5s on bio, chem, us, lit, and psych

Senior Year Course Load: AP Lang, AP Studio art, AP Gov (us and comparative), AP Econ (macro and micro), physics honors, AP Calc AB, AP Spanish

Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): USABO Semifinalist, Scholastic Art and Writing Award Gold Key, Congressional Art Award, Georgetown Junior of the Year Award, UPenn Book Award, local school awards in art, English, science

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Varsity Tennis (2 year Captain), Green Team (2 year President, started recycling program at school), French Club (2 year co-President), Art Club (2 year President), Ambulance Explorers Club (co-President), Link Crew, Varsity track (8th grade-10th grade), 8 years of acoustic guitar, portfolio art classes (I will be sending a portfolio with my app), National Honor Society

Job/Work Experience: Tutoring (middle school math)
Volunteer/Community service: Volunteer at childrens' art classes (2 summers), volunteer at animal shelter (9th and 10th grade) [total of 250 hours]
Summer Activities: Internship in public health (summer before junior year) and Alzheimer's research (this summer)
Essays: good
Teacher Recommendation: I haven't seen them, but one should be great, the other one probably is pretty good
Counselor Rec: should be fantastic

I'm a white male, with no hooks. Let me know what you think!
Post edited by hgual88 on

Replies to: Do I really have a 75% chance to get into Columbia?