@ futuredoctor: yeah I guess that makes sense. and same, reading this forum makes me feel so much better :P
ok I'm going to stop worrying about this because we still have over a month before the results and I might just go nuts if I keep thinking about it...
also: guys STOP posting answers, it hurts your chances!
private messages are there for a reason
If anyone thinks that they got the right answer for the worker problem, it would help because im freaking out about that one because i only answered around 10 of them and thats one of them, so if you dont wanna post it on the forum, you can private message me. If you wanna talk about the test more, just private message me.
BTW=I'm a freshman so I just want some assurance! lolll
I applied in 2009 as a freshman and got exactly 10 correct, no guesses or wrong answers. The number of challenge math questions you need to get in probably doesn't change with grade level since it has more to do with "fluid intelligence" (but not really: you can master them with practice, too.) I would wager a guess that most people get ~4-7 right and guess on a whole bunch more. Regardless, 4 "definitely right" answers is not enough. Neither is 7, to my knowledge.
If you don't get in this year, it's not a big deal. Sometimes it takes a couple tries to get the hang of that challenge math. It's not a good idea to judge yourself based on the people in that room... it's such a weird sampling. You'll have USAMO qualifiers finishing all 15 questions in 10 minutes sitting alongside the snoring kid whose parents made him apply.
Those of you who do get in, I'll see you next year milling around outside Havermeyer on the first day joking about how easy the test was
Edit: For some reason, I recall them telling us that penalty was -.25, but I may have misheard.
what would happen if you already took the exam but you forgot to mail in your transcript? i don't know whether or not my guidance counselor mailed in the transcript, but i already received the ticket and took the test on the 2nd, so does that mean they received the transcript?
check your online account for your application status, and if it still says "not received" for Transcript, then you should call the SHP office (the phone number is on their website).
the same thing happened to me a while back, so I called them and mailed another transcript, and it's all settled now.
I'm taking the test this wkend. Can you tell me:
1. Do you get a break between any of the sections?
2. Can you bring water or a small snack to eat if there is a break?
3. I have heard all sorts of answers as to the penalty for the easy math/science and challenge parts. Does anyone remember what the penalties are for guessing incorrectly in each of the sections? I heard no penalty for the Challenge Section--could that be right?
Thanks guys and good luck to those who took the test!
I took the test last year, but I'll try my best.
1. It's a three hour test! We definitely had some kind of a break between sections.
2. I did, so....yes!
3. I think there were penalties for math & science but, like you said, I don't think there was one for the challenge section. They'll tell you how it works before you start each section, so don't worry about it.
Really, just relax and you'll be fine! Especially when it comes to the challenge section.