Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Who at CC is applying to Columbia?

Roger_DooleyRoger_Dooley Posts: 106,155Founder Senior Member
edited January 10 in Columbia University
Post edited by Roger_Dooley on

Replies to: Who at CC is applying to Columbia?

• PharmagalPharmagal Posts: 1,266Registered User Senior Member
    It would be interesting to know how many of these candidates consider Columbia to be their first choice.

I wonder if this list would be cut down by 20-25% if many of these applicants get accepted at Yale, Harvard, MIT, or Wharton.
  • nogarddernogardder Posts: 394Registered User Member
    How come nobody is posting to this thread?
  • noori07noori07 Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    wat are the chances of getting into columbia university from a cc..and what do u have to do...go above and beyond i know...but how do i do that? leadership positions...grades, ec's? some advice please....
  • noori07noori07 Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    btw..by cc i meant community college...
  • brittnayy16xbrittnayy16x Posts: 85Registered User Junior Member
    I plan on applying in the upcoming year!
    I noticed this thread was quite desolate : )

And yes, I anticipate to apply ED
    Columbia is my absolute #1 choice, and the only Ivy to which I plan on applying
    None of the other Ivies interest me at all..
  • sarbear87sarbear87 Posts: 4Registered User New Member
    in response to "what do you need to do to get in," there are a couple of things to keep in mind. First of all, the application process is very much a hollistic one. Yes, your transcript is important, as are your SAT scores. But don't neglect the rest of the application either - they want to know what you do outside of the classroom and how you use your free time. They want to know how much you've challenged yourself academically and otherwise. Even the little questions like "which books have you read in the last year that weren't required for school" can be indicative of how hard you push yourself as a student, both in and outside the classroom.
  • mourad23mourad23 Posts: 135Registered User Junior Member
    I'm planning to apply early ! Columbia is my first choice and my dream university ! And like you, brittnayy16x, I'm not interested in the other Ivies.
  • MLeighMLeigh Posts: 101Registered User Junior Member
    I'm planning to apply early, too... it's quite a reach but I figure there's no harm in trying. And I'm not looking at the other Ivies, either.
  • swimgcsto07swimgcsto07 Posts: 46Registered User Junior Member
    I plan on applying early as well. Its a reach for me too, but its always been my dream.
  • So AuthenticSo Authentic Posts: 1,241- Member
    So Am I.......I hope I get in this December. That will make the perfect christmas gift. && Good luck to everyone else
  • MSHPMSHP Posts: 220Registered User Junior Member
    Well, for the first 2.5 years of my high school career I was infatuated with Columbia; I always thought I'd apply ED.

But, who am I kidding. I definitely don't have the credentials and applying early wouldn't even help. Of course, admissions is a crapshoot, so anything can happen I guess.

So, anyway, the answer to the question is 'most likely, no'. Pity. But good luck to everyone else!
  • karen61990karen61990 Posts: 1,599Registered User Senior Member
    But, who am I kidding. I definitely don't have the credentials and applying early wouldn't even help. Of course, admissions is a crapshoot, so anything can happen I guess.

same here but as you said, admissions is a crapshoot sometimes. There's no harm in applying. After all if you don't apply your chances are 0; if you apply at least you have a small chance.
  • NathansubNathansub Posts: 69Registered User Junior Member
    I loved my visit to Columbia. I can see myself there and will apply. It's the first time I've felt this way. I started my essay yesterday and now feel the process has begun in earnest.
  • cory123cory123 Posts: 1,825Registered User Senior Member
    will be applying ED. Visited today, and also submitted part 1 of my app today
  • undisclosedundisclosed Posts: 965Registered User Member
    Applying as international transfer.
    First choice.
    I am however applying to one other Ivy (Yale).
    I would still pick Columbia if accepted to both.
    Current phase: research and prep since my application limit is March.