Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

waitlisted at Columbia

jerseygirl07jerseygirl07 Posts: 261Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2007 in Columbia University
i was really depressed to discover that only 6 waitlisted students were ultimately accepted last year ...

how many students are typically waitlisted at Columbia College?
Post edited by jerseygirl07 on

Replies to: waitlisted at Columbia

• s snacks snack Posts: 1,050Registered User Senior Member
    Tons. More than 1,000. Sorry.
  • gumgumgumgum Posts: 41Registered User Junior Member
    does anybody have a success story, to give us_waitlisters_hope???
    has anyone here been waitlisted then accepted? what did you to do get off the waitlist?
  • neutralnukeneutralnuke Posts: 809Registered User Member
    6/1000, wow
    any insider knowledge on what was special about those 6?
  • s snacks snack Posts: 1,050Registered User Senior Member
    Most likely $$$
  • Columbia2002Columbia2002 Posts: 4,529Registered User Senior Member
    does anybody have a success story, to give us_waitlisters_hope???

A success story will artificially boost your hope. If all 6 of the people who were accepted last year off the wait list posted their stories, the fact still remains that it's impossible to get off.
  • MusikalgeakMusikalgeak Posts: 184Registered User Junior Member
    Guys I don't know where you heard that only 6 got off, but the real fact is that in 2005:

Columbia College
    Students Offered Wait List: 2017
    Students Accepting Wait List Position: 1504
    Students Admitted from Wait List: 45

Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science
    Students Offered Wait List: 2435
    Students Accepting Wait List Position: 1794
    Students Admitted from Wait List: 65

Hopefully, this gives you a little more hope, since 64 and 45 are a lot more than 6. I'm waitlisted too and I don't even know how I did, because I thought I had no chance at any Ivy League.
    6 was 2006's numbers. It varies from year to year. In my year, it was zero.
  • ConfucianNemisisConfucianNemisis Posts: 285Registered User Junior Member
    Source for the waitlist numbers? I've been looking for them. I know the website lists the number accepted and mentions that the average number of waitlists over the last 5 years is significantly higher than just 6 for cc.
    Someone posted a link with the 6. It's very unpredictable-- some years it's zero, some it's do. The average really isn't that relevant with this sort of bimodal distribution.
  • ConfucianNemisisConfucianNemisis Posts: 285Registered User Junior Member
    The undergraduate admissions office lists how many waitlisted applicants it accepted and the 5 yr average. http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/admissions/applications/stats.php

I was looking for a source for number of students put on the waitlist.
  • MusikalgeakMusikalgeak Posts: 184Registered User Junior Member
    The 6 were only from the Columbia College. There also were 20 taken off the waiting list for the Engineering School. That makes me feel better, because I'm on the waiting list for Engineering.
  • momraymomray Posts: 880Registered User Member
    Daughter waitlisted too. Very frustrating but I suppose it's better than an outright rejection.
  • EuropaStyleEuropaStyle Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    According to the Princeton Review "The Best 361 Colleges," for the Columbia University-Columbia College class of 2010, 2017 people accepted a place on the waitlist, of which 2% were admitted, that's about 40-41 students.
  • biggyboybiggyboy Posts: 1,558Registered User Senior Member
    the princeton review often publishes information that isn't too accurate imo
  • bing121086bing121086 Posts: 1,097Registered User Member
    If it makes anyone feel any better (or artificially raises anyone's hopes), I got in from the waitlist, and I'm now a sophomore here. Take it for what you will. Good luck, everyone.