Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Columbia ED?

diatre31192diatre31192 Posts: 26Registered User New Member
edited October 2008 in Columbia University
Half Black, Half Puerto Rican, from New York City
Attending St. George's School, Newport, RI

UW GPA: 3.6, W 4.16 (My school doesn't release GPA or Rank)
SATs: CR - 710, M - 760, W - 780
SATIIs: US - 720, Math - 700, Physics - 660, Chem - 660 (Only sending first two)
APs: 5 on English Language, 4 on Physics, Latin Literature, 3 on World History, Biology, Chemistry, AP Scholar 2007, AP Scholar with Distinction 2008

With 6 APs taken I easily have the highest number of APs in my school, and with 4 this year, I will be graduating with the highest in the class, and one of the highest numbers of APs taken in the history of the school.

PSAT: 213, or 99th percentile
National Merit Commendation, National Achievement Semifinalist
Acres of Diamonds Award (given to minorities excelling in medical research)

Senior Courses (5 per semester limit):
AP US Gov
AP Calc BC
AP Music Theory
AP English Lit
Ethics Elective in the fall

Honor Roll 2005-2008
Gold Medal, National Latin Exam, 2006, 2007
Silver Medal, National Latin Exam, 2008

NIH Research Volunteer - Summer 2008 (I am a certified staff member of the NICHD department of the NIH, and I have my poster certified in the 2008 Summer Poster Session)
Temple University School of Medicine Research Volunteer - Summer 2006, 2007
Member of the Physician Scientist Training Program (2005 - present)

Extracurriculars:
Head of the Gay Straight Alliance
Student Council 2007-2008
Head of Entertainment Committee
Newspaper Writer
Tour Guide
Varsity Track (2007-2009), 2007 Athlete of the Week, 3rd in county in Triple Jump, 5th in 300m hurdles, 6th in 110m Hurdles
Possibly Varsity XC
Choir Officer
A Cappella (Boys)
Classical Voice Training
Brass Ensemble Member

2 Outstanding recs, and an essay that apparently made one of my teachers cry with delight.
Post edited by diatre31192 on

Replies to: Columbia ED?

• diatre31192diatre31192 Posts: 26Registered User New Member
    Bump!

Please?
  • eating foodeating food Posts: 1,927Registered User Senior Member
    REALLY good chances at columbia and similar institutions...

btw, where else are you applying? (in the off chance you get deferred)
    Boston U
    Tufts
    NYU
    UPenn
    GWU
    Georgetown
    Brown
    Yale
    Princeton
    Trinity

All on my list.

The top three are the only ones I'm sure of though.
  • wallydugwallydug Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    I agree with the other poster, I think you have a pretty good chance (especially considering the race card). I would say your ECs seem a little scattered but you have the medical research work so maybe play that up in your application.
  • al_tassadaral_tassadar Posts: 141Registered User Junior Member
    whoa your stats are amazing.
  • desi_chickdesi_chick Posts: 1,692Registered User Member
    i wish i was smart as you.
    BUMP!

I know people say "no one here can chance", but it is still OK to ask for opinions based on what the readers here do know about the school.

Anyone else care to help me out?
  • spicegirl707spicegirl707 Posts: 61Registered User Junior Member
    i think you have an absolutely phenomenal resume and scores! columbia would be silly not to accept you.
  • arlington91arlington91 Posts: 112Registered User Junior Member
    are u applying to columbia college or engineering
  • KitKatzKitKatz Posts: 385Registered User Member
    WOW!! I think you are definitely in...If not, the admission people are a bunch of idiots.
  • ^_~^_~ Posts: 117Registered User Junior Member
    Really? how come other people who posted similar stats got comments like "this is the average applicant pool profile"? Not that it's bad; I think it's really good.
  • cerberus08cerberus08 Posts: 638Registered User Member
    Diatre: You've got some impressive stats. You've got good chances: make the essay really good, though.

I don't want to say too much

"WOW!! I think you are definitely in...If not, the admission people are a bunch of idiots."

You're obviously new to the admissions process. Diatre's not 'definitely in', and his/her chances will certainly depend on the strength of the peer group.
  • DenzeraDenzera Posts: 3,371Registered User Senior Member
    Aside from not being URM, I was a more impressive applicant my senior year than this profile suggests on its face, and I was rejected.

That I got in following a gap year is irrelevant. Nobody - aside from some top performers at the elite prep schools - is an automatic in at any top-10 school. If you have to ask, you're not automatic. Stop acting like it's a process that's deterministic.
    Varsity Track (2007-2009), 2007 Athlete of the Week, 3rd in county in Triple Jump, 5th in 300m hurdles, 6th in 110m Hurdles
    I *knew* it felt like that year went by really quickly.
  • AnonAnnayAnonAnnay Posts: 178Registered User Junior Member
    woot a fellow hurdler. oh the joys of 3 step sprints and the bum skimming sensation from hurdles.
  • December25December25 Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    Columbia is a stretch for everyone! Remember that when applying ED, the other applicants that you'll be competing against have all taken and finished the required tests and have high academic standings. Even someone with a 2400 and 4.0 UW isn't guaranteed admission. If you think you're ready, then go for ED; if not, apply RD. I attended a Columbia information session, and the representative said that admissions would never admit a student ED if they wouldn't admit him/her RD.