Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What is my High School's GPA Scale?

e5volcanoe5volcano Posts: 242Registered User Junior Member
edited September 2010 in Common Application
Hey,
I'm not quite sure what should I put on my common app GPA section, weighted or non weighted?

The way my school works:
UW:
A - 4
B - 3
C - 2

When you add honors and AP classes however, then its this
A - 5
B - 4
C - 3

I have 2 GPAS on my transcript: it says: Weighted - 4.6, Unweighted - 3.7

Which one do I put and what scale do I choose?

Does it go
GPA: 4.6 / GPA Scale: 5

and
GPA: 3.7 / GPA Scale: 4

Or is it simply a scale of 4 points even if my school offers AP classes

Thanks
Post edited by e5volcano on

Replies to: What is my High School's GPA Scale?

• NewAccountNewAccount Posts: 1,882Registered User Senior Member
    Put the 3.7/4.0.
  • KalathalanKalathalan Posts: 85Registered User Junior Member
    I have a related question. My school calculates weighted GPA, where an A in a regular course is a 4.0, in an honors course 4.5, and in an AP course 5.0. However, it's impossible to take all AP classes, so a 5.0 is technically not achievable. I don't even think any student has achieved a solid 4.5 in the past few years.

So I'm reporting my weighted GPA because my school doesn't officially calculate unweighted. Should I report the scale as 4 or 5?
  • nineumnineum Posts: 138Registered User Junior Member
    Kalathalan: Out of 5. Even with that weighting system (that's how my school does it too), a GPA over 4 is highly possible, and it's just impossible to say you have a 4.25 out of 4 GPA.
  • annay49annay49 Posts: 94Registered User Junior Member
    Kathalan: I believe it would be out of 4. We do something similar at my school (we only weigh AP's) my counselor specifically said we have a 4.0 scale, even if above a 4.0 is achievable (that would be you taking the harder credits to boost your GPA after all)
  • jgraiderjgraider Posts: 2,845Registered User Senior Member
    I have a related question. My school calculates weighted GPA, where an A in a regular course is a 4.0, in an honors course 4.5, and in an AP course 5.0. However, it's impossible to take all AP classes, so a 5.0 is technically not achievable. I don't even think any student has achieved a solid 4.5 in the past few years.

So I'm reporting my weighted GPA because my school doesn't officially calculate unweighted. Should I report the scale as 4 or 5?

I agree with annay49. It would be a 4.5 out of 4 weighted