Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

common app-ACADEMIC HONORS?

sossos Posts: 83Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2013 in Common Application
what am i suppose to put here
it says to put stuff like honor roll but how am i supoose to know if im in it or not- i dont think we even hace stuff like that at my school
so what should i do?
Post edited by sos on

Replies to: common app-ACADEMIC HONORS?

• theoneotheoneo Posts: 6,934Registered User Senior Member
    Have you won any awards? Won any contests or competitions? That's what goes under "academic honors".
  • sossos Posts: 83Registered User Junior Member
    nope no academic contests/awards
    but doesnt that mean alot people wont have anything to put
    i mean there cant be that many people
    so i guess ill just leave it blank?
  • shainalovesshainaloves Posts: 671Registered User Member
    No course awards? Student of the month? Honor roll?
  • filmxoxo17filmxoxo17 Posts: 2,625Registered User Senior Member
    some schools dole out awards like nobodys business. some (and most privates) dont give em out at all. If you school doesn't give academic awards, then write in the space provided "X Highschool does not give academic awards" Its what I put on my app. If your school does, and you have none, thats another story.
    our school doesnt have student of the month or honor roll
    if we did though i would probably be in honor roll
    anything else?
  • banedon17banedon17 Posts: 2,556Registered User Senior Member
    quizzes, academic competitions, none?
    nope
    how bad will it look if i left it blank?
    its actually not required
  • fuzzyfirebunnyfuzzyfirebunny Posts: 1,365Registered User Senior Member
    does winning awards in extra curriculars count? like, if you won first place in a debate competition or something? or you're state champion in a sport...etc etc?
  • caltech27caltech27 Posts: 252Registered User Junior Member
    Were you in any ECs related to academics, such as Math League, Science Olympiad, etc? You can say that you were a participant in any selected events.
  • amaster008amaster008 Posts: 278Registered User Junior Member
    mm ... I did science olympiad in 8th and 9th grade. So in 9th grade, my school qualified to go to Nationals and I did well in State what not. Should I put that under academic honors/activities even though i only did it for one year in high school (because i had to work thru my middle school to compete in 9th grade just to clarify)
  • Miss PrincetonMiss Princeton Posts: 303Registered User Member
    Are we supposed to list only national and international honors? Oh, and what if my international honor has nothing to do with what I am planning to major in? Will this look bad?
  • HereToSucceed92HereToSucceed92 Posts: 407Registered User Member
    @ Miss Princeton: I don't think that you only have to list national or international awards. However, I imagine that the more of those you have the more impressive it is. And I don't think it's bad for your international award to have nothing to do with what you want to study. It's an honor either way.

I do have a question of my own. I recieved an award given out by the county so should I list it as a state or school award? I also got one at a summer honors program that selected the top students from many counties to attend the program. Would that be a state/regional award (there was one kid from out of state)?
  • Miss PrincetonMiss Princeton Posts: 303Registered User Member
    Thank you, HereToSucceed92! I hope you're right
  • tonytettonytet Posts: 305Registered User Junior Member
    If I have an academic honor that I won in a specific EC, I put that in the EC section. Also, if you got selected into some summer program and attended, like Economics for Leaders where apparently not everyone is accepted, and I did this one at Furman that accepted 15 out of 40 or 50, where do you put that?
  • jamiroquaijamiroquai Posts: 170Registered User Junior Member
    Is it okay to write down "National Merit Commended Scholar"? I'm not NMSF but my counselors said I should still write down commended...