Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

CommonApp essay

Tim1014Tim1014 Posts: 16Registered User New Member
edited October 2011 in Common Application
I've been thinking of people who have influenced me (Common App prompt number 3 or 4). I want to write an essay that is true and sticks out to the admissions office (so far, I'm interested in going to Case Western Reserve University and John Carroll University), and a few people come to mind. Some fictional characters that have influenced me come from Harry Potter; namely Dumbledore and Neville Longbottom. A person who has influenced me a lot is Judge Judy. Which would be better? I feel like Harry Potter has been done a lot before and I want to stick out from other appliers. But are both of these things to informal to write about? Please, any help would be appreciated greatly :D
Post edited by Tim1014 on

Replies to: CommonApp essay

• stevenydcstevenydc Posts: 184Registered User Junior Member
    stick to what you think is better, not what the addmission officers think is better.
    an uncommon experence or example is not necessarily better.
    nothing wrong to write something common
  • ProfrogueProfrogue Posts: 238Registered User Junior Member
    Neither is too informal, and I think you could almost do a better job doing Dumbledore or Neville because they have such vivid characteristics/personalities.
  • ohhoneybearohhoneybear Posts: 9Registered User New Member
    you should write about what makes you happy and what makes you passionae