Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

GPA difference between A & A minus? Confused!

kjSeankjSean Posts: 14Registered User New Member
edited January 2012 in Common Application
Hey CC,

I am a sophomore right now, and was wondering how this whole A and A minus thing works. I might sound paranoid, but bear with me: a CollegeBoard website tells me universities rank A minus as a "3.7" GPA, not a 4.0.

Link to that: How to Convert Your GPA to a 4.0 Scale

But my school's transcript (I've seen a senior's) makes an A minus a "4.0". (for us, A- is 89.5% to 93.5%). My counselor tells me that the transcript only shows the letter grades, not the percentages.

If so, will my A- be a 4.0 still, or do colleges scale differently from certain high schools like mine?

Thanks for resolving this mystery.
Post edited by kjSean on

Replies to: GPA difference between A & A minus? Confused!

• SnowflakeVTSnowflakeVT Posts: 2,237Registered User Senior Member
    If you are trying to convert your grades to a 4.0 scale, then an A- is a 3.7, or if taken to two significant digits, a 3.67. Most schools would call an A- also in the 89.5 - 93.5.

Don't worry too much about the conversion of each grade. Once you have your overall grade average for your school (like 91=A-) then you can cover that to a 3.67 or 3.7.

Some high schools give A+ grade for 97-100 or a similar range. For those schools, you would use a 4.33 for an A+, but then you would still have to scale it to a 4.0 scale to compare to others on a 4.0 scale.