Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Common App "disciplinary violation" question

tjagolf33tjagolf33 Posts: 8Registered User New Member
edited March 2012 in Common Application
So, on the common app, the second-to-last question is as follows:

Have you ever been found responsible for a disciplinary violation at any educational institution you have attended from the 9th grade (or the international equivalent) forward, whether related to academic misconduct or behavioral misconduct, that resulted in a disciplinary action? These actions could include, but are not limited to: probation, suspension, removal, dismissal, or expulsion from the institution.

Does this include academic probation due to too low a credit completion rate? I have a circumstance where I ended up withdrawing from my first semester of classes due to our family's house being foreclosed upon. Since the school requires a 66% or higher completion rate of credits attempted, I was placed on academic probation (though I will be off by the end of this semester). Do I have to answer the question affirmatively as a result, or are they only looking for things like cheating, plagiarism, etc.?

Thanks for the help!
Post edited by tjagolf33 on

Replies to: Common App "disciplinary violation" question

• pch340pch340 Posts: 811Registered User Member
    I would mention it, just in case they DO want to know that kind of thing. It can't really hurt you either way...its not a fault on your part or a character flaw on any kind.

If you really want to make sure you can always make a quick call to your schools
  • tjagolf33tjagolf33 Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    Yeah, I was figuring I'd just click it to be on the safe side, but I DID already mention it earlier in the app when I was asked whether and why I had taken time off at any point, etc., and I don't want to check "yes" and have them automatically deny me or something.
    Anybody know for sure? I'd rather not hit yes if I don't have to! (I could call the schools like he said but I'm applying to like 8...)
    The fact that it specifically mentions "academic misconduct or behavioral misconduct" makes me think that it would not count toward this, since it wasn't misconduct.
  • pch340pch340 Posts: 811Registered User Member
    I think you'll be fine if you mentioned it in another part of your app...just don't select yes.
  • zephyr15zephyr15 Posts: 2,265Registered User Senior Member
    It probably doesn't make much of a difference, since colleges will see your transcript.

Be that as it may -- I think you can answer 'no' on the facts. IMO, it's neither acacemic or behaviorial misconduct.

However -- you should probably discuss this with your GC.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Posts: 19,689Super Moderator Senior Member
    Academic probation is not academic misconduct unless it was related to cheating.