Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Teacher Rec late ...

chrisdwchrisdw Posts: 26Registered User New Member
edited December 2012 in Common Application
Well, my ds, who probably has two dozen teachers that would write glowing recommendations for him, chose one of his two to be someone I wasn't sure was going to give it 100%. After DS reminded him a couple times about it and then asked if he thought he would be able to get it in by the deadline, the teacher reassured him he would. Well, the dealine came and went and today it is still not there. The other teacher and the counselor have submitted theirs, but not this guy. What to do now?
Post edited by chrisdw on

Replies to: Teacher Rec late ...

• CTScoutmomCTScoutmom Posts: 1,315Registered User Senior Member
    Ask the counselor to push this teacher to get it in, or ask another teacher. If it is a few days late, but not overly late, it might not be a big problem - your son did his part and got everything else in on time. They likely have hundreds if not thousands of applications to review, so he may simply be diverted to the bottom of the pile, but still reviewed if it gets there soon. This is something outside his own control, and colleges know this (though some will be more strict than other regarding deadlines for school forms).
  • chrisdwchrisdw Posts: 26Registered User New Member
    Well, the other teacher and the counselor did get theirs in, so I don't think his application is considered "incomplete" and I think that is the minimum they require, but still...
    Anyway, I did ask the counselor to intervene and she said she would but that as a parent I probably had more "pull". I am trying to decide whether to let my son approach him or to email him myself.
  • LakemomLakemom Posts: 2,555Registered User Senior Member
    Has your son already contacted the teacher and asked straight out what the hold up is?
    The teacher says it is finished and submitted but the status online still says "started".
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Posts: 12,219Registered User Senior Member
    If the teacher only just sumbitted, it's not uncommon for the college's system to need a day to catch up. You probably have the option of having DS call the college on Monday, to diplomatically confirm they have it.
    Shouldn't it show up on the common app though?
  • NobleFlaireNobleFlaire Posts: 168Registered User Junior Member
    I don't think any college will reject an application due to a late teacher rec. They usually send you an email about the missing documents and a time frame for you to submit that document even after the deadline.
  • gal179gal179 Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    Hi, I know this is a little late, but will Commonapp allow us to submit if we only have 1 teacher rec right now?
  • MichiganGeorgiaMichiganGeorgia Posts: 2,355Registered User Senior Member
    Does the college require more than 1? If so have you assigned the teacher? If you have assigned the teacher it will let you submit it. Then when the teacher enters the rec. the school will be able to download the school forms. I don't know what happens if you haven't assigned all the teachers required.