Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Help with Common App Honors and Activities

16085161608516 Posts: 4- New Member
edited August 2013 in Common Application
Hey! So I've been working on the common app honors and activities section, trying to make myself appear as a committed leader without making any complete lies. I was wondering if you could read over what i wrote and tell me if it looks solid or what parts seem suspicious or read as BS to you. Sorry I know this is a very long post.

Honors
"If you have received any honors beginning with the ninth grade or international equivalent, please indicate number of honors: 5 (the highest option allowed on the common app)
Honors 1 title: Platinum Honors. Grade level 9. Highest level of recognition: School
Honors 2 title: Academic Achievement Award. Grade level 10. Level of rec: School
Honors 3 title: IASAS, Selected for International Basketball Competition. G10. International
Honors 4 title: U.S. History World Cup Contender. Grade level 10. Level of rec: School
Honors 5 title: Academic Letter. Grade level 11, 12. Highest level of recognition: School

Activities in order of importance
1. Science/Math. Position/Leadership: Math Club Lead, JSHS and SNHS
Participation grade levels: 9, 10, 11, 12. I intend to participate while in college: Yes
Timing of participation: School. Hours spent per week: 5. Weeks spent per year: 24
Details, honors, and accomplishments: won second place in regional Math Club Competition
2. Theater/Drama. Lead Actor, Sound Technician, Writer and Director. grades 9, 10, 11, 12
I intend to participate while in college: Yes. Timing of participation: School
Hours spent per week 10. Weeks spent per year 16. Details: Lead Actor of four school plays, won Most Creative Improv, gave work shop on Boleslavsky, wrote and directed a school play that won Audience Favorite
3. Community Service (Volunteer). H4H Lead, Assistant Teacher, Coach and Referee.
Participation grade levels: 9, 10, 11, 12. I intend to participate while in college: Yes
Timing of participation: Year. Hours spent per week: 4. Weeks spent per year: 15
H4H Team raised over $10,000 for cement and bricks; Middle School basketball team I coached won first place in region
4. Athletics: JV/Varsity. Basketball. Starter. Grades 9, 10.
I intend to participate while in college: Yes. Timing of participation: School
Hours spent per week: 10. Weeks spent per year: 24
Won first place in ISAC regional competition; Lead scorer for Basketball Exchange
5. Computer/Technology. Robotics Sumo Wrestling Team Captain. grades 10, 11, 12
I intend to participate while in college: No. Timing of participation: School.
Hours spent per week: 3. Weeks spent per year: 24.
Won local robot sumo wrestling competition, joined Dead Robot Society in 12th grade
6. Student Govt./Politics. Class President. grade 9
I intend to participate while in college: No. Timing of participation: School
Hours spent per week: 2. Weeks spent per year: 35
I helped plan school events and organize fundraisers
7. Work (Paid). U.S. Embassy in Kuala Lumpur Summer Intern. Summer before grade 11.
I intend to participate while in college: No. 45 Hours spent per week. 8 Weeks per year
I completed a program in cyber security.
8. Other Club/Activity. Forensics, International Club, NHS, Writer for Take. grades 11, 12.
I intend to participate while in college: No. Timing of participation: School.
Hours spent per week: 3. Weeks spent per year: 15.
I continued writing for the student magazine Take in Malaysia even after moving to the United States.
9. JV/Varsity. Track and field. High Jumper and Sprinter. Grade 12.
I intend to participate while in college: No. Timing of participation: School
Hours spent per week: 10. Weeks spent per year: 15.
I plan on trying out for my schools track team.

Then on the writing sections for Additional Information I wrote:
"Brief explanation on honors and activities
IASAS: Competition where select students from international schools in Southeast Asia compete.
U.S. History World Cup Contender: the best History students from my school are selected to compete for the History World Cup trophy.
Academic Achievement Award, Platinum Honors, and Academic Letter: given to students based on academic performance.
JSHS: Junior Science and Humanities Symposium - I was going to compete in Japan but it was cancelled due to the Earthquake.
SNHS: Science National Honors Society.
Theater: I plan to participate in college by auditioning for school plays.
Basketball: I plan to participate in college in intramural/club basketball.
Assistant Teacher: for Sunday School.
H4H: Habitat for Humanity, where through various activities like golf tournaments, book sales, flea markets, and two 40 hour famines, we raised over $10,000 for cement and bricks to help build homes for those in need.
Additions to my application that I'm sending include a science experiment proposition paper and a peer recommendation."

Thoughts?
Post edited by 1608516 on

Replies to: Help with Common App Honors and Activities

• KeDIX1414KeDIX1414 Posts: 359Registered User Member
    You are saying that you are trying to look like a leader without any "complete lies." Did you stretch the truth in any of the information you wrote down? If you did, I would be careful. Don't lie on the common app.