Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Summer Jobs

rachel212rachel212 Registered User Posts: 905 Member
edited March 2006 in Parent Cafe
What are the best jobs to get for '06ers?
meaning 17-18 year olds that will be going to college next year and need money for college.
Post edited by rachel212 on

Replies to: Summer Jobs

• over30over30 Registered User Posts: 2,411 Senior Member
    Waiting tables in a very nice restaurant is probably one of the highest earning jobs for a recent high school grad.
  • tkb6tkb6 Registered User Posts: 286 Junior Member
    I'll be coaching figure skating ($26/hour for group lessons, $40/hour for privates) but there's only a limited number of hours you can work. And you need a special skill set, obviously.
  • rachel212rachel212 Registered User Posts: 905 Member
    I bused tables at a very nice restaurant... the only problem is that because it was a nice restaurant in my town it only had a small amount of business during the day. [current college students get to work nights]

but can 17/18 year olds wait tables?
  • fendergirlfendergirl Registered User Posts: 4,694 Senior Member
    uh, where i live.. 14 year olds can wait tables.. so i would assume 17/18 year olds could as well.
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Registered User Posts: 11,413 Senior Member
    Most very nice restaurants are not going to be hiring h/s kids to wait tables. Bussing tables is sometimes possible at nice restaurants and usually you'd share in some tips but you won't make nearly as much as the wait staff.

Some of the towns we've lived in over the years hire h/s kids for daycamp counsellors, maintenance workers for cutting grass and doing landscaping, two kids we knew got to drive around in a small truck all day watering the huge hanging baskets and planters that filled the downtown area of our town.

One of my Ds worked as a nanny for two summers and made very good money. Retail jobs generally will pay only close to minimum wage but if you can get f/t hours that is sometimes enough. Good luck with your job search!
    check grocery stores as well.. they always hire kids..
  • 56forceout56forceout Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    My son averaged a bit over $20.00 an hour delivering Pizza. Most of it in tips of course. He loves driving so it was a natural for him.
  • corrangedcorranged Registered User Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I make most of my money as a musician because it pays from $50-$200 / hour, but obviously not everyone can do that. The hours can vary dramatically, as well, with dry spells and busy seasons. I also have worked a more normal job, which makes about $8.50 / hour.

My friends make the most money babysitting and acting as nannies. Around here, people pay upwards of $15 / hour, sometimes much more. Now, all of my friends who do this have a ton of experience and are very well connected. Nevertheless, they bring in a good amount of money. The downside is that they often need to reserve weekends or nights in case they're needed.

Working at a nice restaurant is good, and I've had friends who have said they can make a lot of money even if all they do is bus. If you're in a pretty well to do area, you can also make a ton off tips in more normal restaurants, where you can wait tables when you're younger and have less experience.

Other jobs: grocery stores, ice cream places, mini golf, lifeguarding, coaching sports, landscaping, retail store, ticket booths, valet parking, hotel bell boy, etc.

There are a lot of options; all you have to do is keep your eyes open! A lot of it depends on what job experience you have, as well.
  • soozievtsoozievt Registered User, ! Posts: 31,274 Senior Member
    You've already gotten great suggestions. Similar opportunities that others mentioned abound here as well. I see local teens working at grocery stores, ice cream stands, children's programs, babysitting, landscaping, waiting or bussing tables in restaurants, lifeguarding, and retail.

We required our children to work the summer prior to starting college and in fact, that was the first (and likely only) summers that they spent most of it at home. That summer, my oldest child did two jobs and she had some experience already in both areas so that helped. Her day job was at a summer children's day program at a local resort/racquet club. She was a counselor but the main activities were tennis and swimming. Here is where a skill can help with getting a job and she had been a Varsity tennis player. This job paid $10/hour and occasionally there were tips and sometimes families on vacation hired her to babysit at night for good pay. Then several nights per week she worked bussing tables at a popular restaurant in our resort town. This job also paid $10/hour plus tips. She had worked for two years prior to that serving dinners in a small country inn. If I recall, the two summer jobs she had the summer after graduation netted her about $4000 and she saved every penny for college and has been able to do several things with that and other savings from previous jobs. Also, the summer program is a job she COULD have every summer since if she wanted it. Last summer she spent half her summer at a program at Harvard in her field but came home for one month and the children's program at the resort offered to let her have the job for just one month (building upon being pleased with her work the previous summer). There are not too many jobs you can get for one month so it has worked out that way too. She could work there again this summer but she doesn't want to work at home.

Another thing to remember is that while these jobs may seem like they will not lead to anything as they are not truly career oriented, they actually have helped my daughter. She has a "work resume" of several jobs now with children and also in restaurants. This coming summer (the one after soph year in college), she wants to spend the summer working/living in France. She applied for jobs in these two areas in which she had work experience and now has two job offers in France, and both required experience and references/recs. One is in a children's language immersion program for French children where they learn English and the other is in a luxury chateau/restaurant. She is thinking of taking the latter position. So, those high school or summer jobs have helped her in securing this kind of summer experience in college in a foreign counntry.

The major money maker for my other D the summer before college (which in her case she was only 16), was one she created. I share this to show that a kid CAN create or make their own job if they have something to offer. Her field is musical theater. Along with a friend, she created a two week musical theater program for kids ages 9-14 where they taught classes as well as produced a musical revue my D wrote. While the job was only two weeks, it did involve a lot of planning ahead of time, of course. But just MY D's share (her friend made the same amt. as they split the profits) was $3500 for the two weeks. She also was in a paid professional adult production at the same time. Also, a teen can get paid for a service. I know she has given voice lessons for children at $25/hour. I'm sure instrument lessons, or tutoring can yield fees. Her job also has been beneficial afterwards because she now has a part time job in NYC while in college, in a musical theater program for youth.

I know my niece worked the summer before college waiting tables at a pretty nice restaurant in my home town so made good money too. As well, my kids have babysat and families seem to pay $10/hour these days, sometimes more.

Besides earning money to take to college, these youngsters are acquiring work experience which is always a good thing, even if not in their field. My younger child, now a college frosh is trying to get professional summer stock work and that is not a high paying job but is more for her career. That's a different thing, however.

Susan
  • irishforeveririshforever Registered User Posts: 817 Member
    Our children have always been on a swim team in the summer, which has been a great asset when looking for a summer job. They all took a Red Cross Lifeguard Certification course at 15 (minimum age for taking it), which included CPR, and they always have plenty of work during the summer. They have also been swim team coaches, and teach lessons, which adds more money to their accounts. S1 is also a part-time lifeguard for one of the pools at his college--great extra money, and it's rarely busy so he can often get reading done while he's there!
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 29,136 Senior Member
    My son was a soccer youth referree, running lines from age 12; you can get $20+/game. If you're the center ref, you can get $40/game.

Last summer, he volunteered as a teaching assistant helping kids with computers & robotics. This summer, he'll get paid to do what he volunteered for last year (they really liked him, but you have to have at least a HS diploma before they will put you on the payroll).

A friend's son went to volunteer at Easter Seals & they liked him so much that after one week, they hired him. Every time he's in town, they ask him to come in whenever he can & schedule him to work. The love him & he's now thinking of going into psychology where he can do research to figure out more of the connections between our minds & bodies, to help folks like the patients he helps at Easter Seals.

Another friend's son helped with grade school kids in their summer day care program--my nephew may apply to help out there as well.

Susan, sounds like your kids have a lot of gumption & energy (especially your daughter). Wonder why she didn't want to do a repeat of her so successful 2-week musical theater program? Sounds like it was highly profitable.
    Should be great working in France.
    HIMom....you got my two kids mixed up but I can't blame ya as I can't keep everyone and everything straight :D.

The D going to France is 19 and a soph in college. She is the one who has worked several jobs with children and also in restaurants. She wants to spend the summer in France because she loves France (has been there on two youth trips) and is nearly fluent in French and loves French (but is not majoring in it.) She would have chosen to do a semester abroad in France but the program she wants in her field (architecture) is in Florence (not that she is complainin' about going to Florence!) and she is doing that next fall. But she still wanted an experience in France and to not have to pay to do it but just live there and work and that is what her goal was for this summer and both job offers came through in the past week or so.

The D who created/directed a summer program in musical theater for kids last summer at 16, is now a college freshman. She certainly would love to do it again and I know local families would love for her to do so this coming summer and I bet she could if she wanted to. However, for her career, which is in musical theater, it is important that she now try to get work in professional theater summer stock for the experience and credits. Because she has saved up money from many jobs in the past, she has enough spending money saved for all four years of college, and thus her summers now will be about getting work in her field, even if they do not pay as well. It is hard to get cast, however. She is currently auditioning and things are going positively but who knows what will be. IF she is unable to get cast somewhere in the country this summer in summer stock, she certainly could be here and do that program again but for now, her efforts are in the summer stock audition process. So, this child (who is now just 17) is using her summer more toward her career goals. My older one (19) is not but she did for half of last summer (did an architecture immersion program at Harvard that she funded through her job earnings) and my guess is the summer after junior year she may look to do an internship in her field. But this summer, she is going for the experience of living in France as this is one time in one's life to do that sort of thing and she has saved up money so that this summer is not so much about earning money for next year but just not COSTING her money to do the experience.

Hope that clarifies things. Even I can't keep each thing straight with my own kids, let alone the kids on the forum!
    Susan

PS....my older D while a junior in HS, also was paid as a soccer referee for youth leagues like your son.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 29,136 Senior Member
    Yeah, it got to be too much when they moved all the soccer games far from our home so the commute time was like an hour each direction & with spiraling gas prices, so son stopped (plus the crowd got nastier & more competitive).

Actually, I admire all your kids, Susan. They all seem to have a lot of drive & direction. My kids are still undecided, tho my son knows he likes science, math & computers, so that's a start. His GC suggested he consider engineering, so he's applied to several programs & we'll see.

Florence & France in one year. Wow! Can we come with her? It sounds like such a blast & so very adventurous! I had to wait until much later in my life to get to Europe & never stayed nearly as long as it sounds like she'll be there!
    HIMom....yeah, well, I wish I got to do these things too! Ah well.

While my younger child has known what she wants to do for a career since she was in preschool, that is not the case with my older kid. But the younger one could say she was passionate about the field she picked as she has been involved in it her entire life. But that is not true of many fields in which kids really don't get to try it out or be exposed until later on, such as until college. Reading what you just wrote about your son, reminds me exactly of my now 19 year old. She thought through the areas she was interested in and had some talent/skill at. Like your son, science and math popped out....computers too...problem solving and creativity. She likes many things too. Thinking through some fields that combine these skills, talents or interests, she narrowed it to engineering and architecture as two possibilities at the start of junior year in HS. When we first started visiting colleges, she looked at both these areas. Upon more exploration, she realized that she liked architecture more than engineering (you kind of get a feel for each just on college visits alone, though she did some independent studies at that time too). So, she narrowed it to liberal arts programs with architecture majors without firmly committing to anything. Now, she has indeed chosen to go into architecture but her "beginnings" were to do with which areas she liked and they are similar to what your son likes or is good at. Architecture is kinda cool in that it integrates several subject areas.....besides the ones I already mentioned, it also brings in history and culture. Engineering is also project oriented and my D did take an engineering course freshman year but particularly liked the hands on projects. I think you can be very driven but not know exactly what you want to do when just 17! That kid is driven. But my younger one is considered driven in a different sort of way as she has known just what she was after right along. Different paths of getting somewhere! One has explored to get to that point and one has just known her passion from a very young age. It's all interesting to observe, that's for sure.
    from the time i was 14 till i graduated college these are some jobs that i had... just to give people some ideas:

grocery store - 5 years
    waitress - 1 summer
    photographer - 1 summer
    retail cashier - 1 summer
    department supervisor - 6 months
    it help desk - 3 years
    distribution company - 9 months (practically ran it.. second in charge)
    free lance graphic design - on and off

my little sister is 17 and these are her jobs over the past 4 years:

grocery store - 2 years
    waitress - 2 months (she got mad at the place and quit)
    dishwasher - past 9 months
    factory worker - 1 summer (is going back this summer as well.. puts boxes together)

my 18 year old cousin who was living here:

lawn care worker - on and off since 14
    pizza shop - 4 years
This discussion has been closed.