Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

common app problems

CUPKSDADCUPKSDAD Posts: 335Registered User Member
edited October 2013 in Common Application
Apparently numerous kids are having problems submitting the common app (safari especially) and schools in receiving them. Stating the obvious - but please ask them to not wait till the very end (Oct 31st) to submit their early apps.
Post edited by CUPKSDAD on

Replies to: common app problems

• Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Posts: 7,956Registered User Senior Member
    Opinion: College application insanity gets worse - CNN.com

I just happened to come across this opinion piece this morning.
  • SJTHSJTH Posts: 1,804Registered User Senior Member
    Also students (and parents) should know that if there are problems with the Common App, neither the college nor their high school can address them. The student needs to contact Common App themselves. Colleges will be understanding--these issues are well known and widespread.
  • 1214mom1214mom Posts: 1,116Registered User Senior Member
    We experienced problems just filling in what school my son attends. I've warned my son that he needs to finish early, but to a 17 year old I think that means 10 instead of 11:59 on the due date.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Posts: 11,274Registered User Senior Member
    It has had a horrible user experience for years and years. If you think this is bad, wait until IDOC....IDOC doesn't even have the ability to transmit in a secure manner electronically...gulp...in 2013 still.
  • lindz126lindz126 Posts: 1,890Registered User Senior Member
    some colleges like UNC Chapel Hill and Columbia have already extended their early decision/early action deadlines due to the common app issues
  • Case16momCase16mom Posts: 31Registered User Junior Member
    The College Counselor on the Insideschools (NYC schools) website posted this just today. Apparently the problems are widespread.
    College Counselor: Common App isn't working
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Posts: 8,006Registered User Senior Member
    Advisees have been having tons of problems. Previous tools aren't available - the search engine is useless, you can no longer search the member requirements list or rank member colleges according to your criteria, the absence of a downloadable teacher rec version to print and work on makes it very, very hard for the older teachers (I don't know *any* who haven't complained about it), some teachers did not receive "recommendation" invitations, with budget cuts some counselors have to work out of two schools yet they can only fill out one school profile, some students who are dual enrolled or enrolled in international curricula can't fill out the forms as they are designed, I could go on and on and on...
    And, oh, I've had questions that took several days to elicit an answer from the technical team, something that never used to happen before (they were pretty good with the 24h limit and never once went over 48h.)
    This new system really needs to be improved quickly. It's already affecting schools and applicants - and ED deadlines are right around the corner so ED applicants are going to be affected.
  • texaspgtexaspg Posts: 13,367Super Moderator Senior Member
    An excerpt from Yale letter to prospective applicants.
    As you may know, the Common Application has recently been experiencing some technical difficulties related to the uploading and processing of documents and application materials. I want to assure you that this is not a cause for concern. The Yale Admissions Office expects to receive and process all application materials submitted online within our usual time frame. If these delays continue or there are related problems in the future, we will need to make exceptions for late documents and are prepared to do so. If a document is missing or improperly processed, a member of our staff will reach out to you or your school counselor directly.
  • zobrowardzobroward Posts: 1,502Registered User Senior Member
    texaspg---
    if yale reaches out to a school counselor instead of an applicant.....95% chance the student will never find out and will default on having a completed application. when they find out it will be to late, and the college counselor will shrug their shoulders.

this is a bad situation.
  • texaspgtexaspg Posts: 13,367Super Moderator Senior Member
    Yale sent this to a prospective applicant not a counselor.

It was part of a longer note advocating for Yale but this paragraph was right at the beginning.
    texaspg
    "If a document is missing or improperly processed, a member of our staff will reach out to you or your school counselor directly. "
    that was sent to a student informing them what may happen if the system fails...which states a counselor may be the one getting contacted.
  • undtktdundtktd Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    The technical 'teams' at CA have been utterly unresponsive. My daughter has not been able to log onto her account for 2 weeks!!! We have received a total of 3 responses from them. 2 told her to reset her password which doesn't work and the third just says that her problem is being addressed and to be patient. Really? 2 weeks and still waiting?
  • rualumrualum Posts: 1,891Registered User Senior Member
    We had problems with the teacher recommendations. I finally just printed out the forms, made out self-addressed, stamped envelopes, and had my son deliver to his teachers. It is near-foolproof, I think...

I'm going to have him check before deadlines to be sure all info is in. I am not depending on his GC, I can see that she is overwhelmed.
    the schools should not be exclusive on the use of the common app. me thinks yale could afford to have it's own online system to apply ...along with a lot of other schools.
    p.s. rualum I hope you add some schools not using com. ap. to the list and apply to those. who knows your son may find and apply to a school that is perfect for him that he had never thought of before.