Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How many words did you write (personal essay)

PosterguyPosterguy Posts: 349Registered User Member
edited December 2013 in Common Application
I am almost done and it looks like I will have 500-600 words

Just wondering if it's better to write ~650 and how much you guys are writing
Post edited by Posterguy on

Replies to: How many words did you write (personal essay)

• xcrunnerxo14xcrunnerxo14 Posts: 27Registered User New Member
    Mine was just under 650. I wrote it without looking at word count: ended up with almost 700 words and cut it down from there. The 650 word limit is just that-a LIMIT, not a target or a requirement. If you only need 500 words to fully answer the prompt then that's fine. Longer essays aren't always better essays, and im sure the adcoms will appreciate not having to read extra paragraphs that could've been left out...
  • onmyway111onmyway111 Posts: 27Registered User New Member
    Mine was a bit under 600. It was originally over 650, but I realized some of it was irrelevant and unnecessary, so it ended up at around 590. I think I got all I wanted to say into my essay, and I am pretty satisfied with it.
  • superstarlalasuperstarlala Posts: 1,564Registered User Senior Member
    Mine was 647 words. I wrote it once, it was 640-650 words ish. I edited it for grammar and it ended about the same.
  • mjmaximummjmaximum Posts: 20Registered User New Member
    A little over 500. I'm kind of conflicted too. I feel like you shouldn't artificially inflate something if you can say it succinctly, but on the other hand maybe I should be saying more.