Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Unfairly denied admission

ColdnesteaColdnestea Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hey all. I'm going back to school (I hope) full time this fall. I recently had my application declined to the program I applied for. The requirements for my category of admission that I should be admitted under are:

To be a diploma (2 year) graduate from that school, and have a C+ in a specific English course. I 100% have these requirements. I am a graduate of that school in a diploma program, and have a B in the requisite English course.

I was still denied admission. I want to note, this program I applied for is not a competitive program. Either you meet the requirements to get in, or you do not.

I am now told that because my diploma from this school was issued before 2006 (I graduated in 2004) that it is invalid. It says this nowhere on their website OR their entire 400 pg academic calendar.

I have wasted almost $400 if I don't get admitted. Do I have any recourse? I applied to this program knowing I would get in based on the prerequisites, and now I'm told that the conditions are actually different than what is stated in the academic calendar. How does this fly?

Sorry, I'm a bit stressed over this. I just want to know if there is anything I can do, or anyone I can appeal to.

Replies to: Unfairly denied admission

• Sam998Sam998 Registered User Posts: 296 Junior Member
    Are you comfortable saying what school/which program this is?
  • blprofblprof Registered User Posts: 738 Member
    Without more information, I can only suggest that the school will only consider coursework completed in the last ten years. This is a fairly common practice. It sounds like you might be considered a transfer, so look under the transfer information to see if they have a 10-year cutoff.
  • siliconvalleymomsiliconvalleymom Registered User Posts: 4,461 Senior Member
    It sounds like you have already asked for an explanation from the school. Do you think it is worth talking to anyone else at the school for reconsideration?
    If not, then it is time to consider your other options.
This discussion has been closed.