Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Does "characters" include spaces?

blinkangel44blinkangel44 Posts: 1,159Registered User Senior Member
edited October 2008 in Common Application
I'm getting conflicting results trying to figure this out.

I'm uploading my resume in addtl. info., so I guess it doesn't technically have to follow the guidelines (right?), but I'm just curious if the 2000 characters includes spaces.
Post edited by blinkangel44 on

Replies to: Does "characters" include spaces?

• ChedvaChedva Posts: 18,435Super Moderator Senior Member
    Yes. A space is a character to a computer.
  • blinkangel44blinkangel44 Posts: 1,159Registered User Senior Member
    Thanks! MS Word had a character count w/spaces and one without, so I was a bit unsure.

Am I correct in thinking that it's okay if my resume contains slightly more than 2000 since I'm uploading it rather than copying/pasting it?
  • fhgfhg Posts: 1,376Registered User Senior Member
    You should be fine if you're uploading.
    Whew, that's certainly a relief!

I'm @ 2137 characters right now and still have a few more awards and activities to list, but I also have to make my descriptions briefer. What's the aboslute max. # of characters I should have?
  • : ): ) Posts: 667Registered User Member
    you can't - it'll cut you off at 2000. at least, it did for me.
    Yikes! But how does it cut off an uploaded document?
  • ChedvaChedva Posts: 18,435Super Moderator Senior Member
    You don't want to have more than 2000 characters anyway. Your descriptions are way too long. If you included any academic information that's on the rest of the application (GPA, rank, test scores, etc.), delete it. List only what's important. A laundry list will not make you look better. Be selective.

Adminssions officers don't want to read more than they need to.
    Yeah, I'm trying to edit it right now. But I'm extremely confused about the whole resume thing... perhpaps you could give me some input in my other Common App thread, Chedva?
    [http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/common-application/589430-i-m-confused-about-whole-resume-thing.html]]