Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How to record community service hours?

rebeccarrebeccar Posts: 1,217Registered User Senior Member
edited May 2009 in Common Application
I'm a sophomore in high school and I've been accumulating a lot of community service such as playing at nursing homes every month or so, volunteering at my synogogue, etc. I have a notebook where I keep track of all the dates and hours that I volunteer, but do I need some signed proof? I was going to just have an authorative figure sign next to the event in my notebook, but that doesn't seem very, er, professional. Do I need to write up a letter and have them sign it or something similar? Would a college ever ask for these tangible pieces of evidence?

Thanks!
Post edited by rebeccar on

Replies to: How to record community service hours?

• dchow08dchow08 Posts: 3,267Registered User Senior Member
    You do not need signed proof. On the application there will be a section where you list things like community service. It will ask for the most important extracurricular activities, so if you volunteered a total of 20 hours just in one summer for something, that probably won't be a big deal.
  • kollegkidkollegkid Posts: 1,007Registered User Senior Member
    At our school, volunteer hours need to be documented on slips of paper signed by a witness for CSF.

They are turned in and accumulated. Prizes are awarded to seniors based on the documented totals.