Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

If deadline is Jan 1, do I have until Dec 31st 11:59pm or Jan 1st 11:59pm?

EmpressEmpress Posts: 87Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2009 in Common Application
Yes I'm not going to submit at the last hour but I would like clarification on the deadline.
Thank you.
Post edited by Empress on

Replies to: If deadline is Jan 1, do I have until Dec 31st 11:59pm or Jan 1st 11:59pm?

• geek_momgeek_mom Posts: 2,106Registered User Senior Member
    11:59pm EST on January 1.
  • iamthewalrus11iamthewalrus11 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    is this for sure? because i am having a panic.
  • SDonCCSDonCC Posts: 2,186Registered User Senior Member
    I was wondering, this, too!
  • gyyy2807gyyy2807 Posts: 87Registered User Junior Member
    everybody's wondering about this!

geek_mom is pretty knowledgeable so I'd trust him/her.
  • sid518sid518 Posts: 34Registered User Junior Member
    Well, Yale's deadline's Dec 31st, and it says on its website that it means you have to submit the materials by 11:59 p.m. Dec 30th :/
  • ivyhopeful16ivyhopeful16 Posts: 62Registered User Junior Member
    sid518, are you sure about this? do you have a link or something where it says this? i've heard that the deadline is not until 11:59 p.m. EST on the 31st.
  • cowking15cowking15 Posts: 725Registered User Member
    holy **** just submit it already
  • Custardapple101Custardapple101 Posts: 774Registered User Member
    It's usually on the December 31st 11:59PM.So the minute before the new year.-think that way, its easier.
  • EmpressEmpress Posts: 87Registered User Junior Member
    The Yale admissions website says "submit by midnight December 31st".
  • WinstonWolfeWinstonWolfe Posts: 361Registered User Member
    Go to the CA support center and search for "deadlines.". You'llfind the info you need there
  • geek_momgeek_mom Posts: 2,106Registered User Senior Member
    Here's my FAQ from last year, with a link to the Common App Support Center at the end.
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/1061624174-post31.html

Here's what Yale says, since sid518 named it specifically.
    Source: Application to Yale College | Freshmen | Office of Undergraduate Admissions
    The application deadline for Regular Decision applicants is midnight, Friday December 31st. The Admissions Office will be closed for the holiday and will reopen on Monday January 4th. If you are submitting an online application and encounter problems related to the submission process or the online application itself, you should contact the Common Application support staff by clicking on Help at the top of any online Common Application page. You will find helpful information there. If a technical problem prevents you from submitting your Yale application by midnight December 31st, please be reassured that you will still be able to submit it electronically after the deadline, when the problem has been resolved.
    Nothing here about 11:59pm on Thursday -- they say midnight on Friday, which commonapp.org defines as 11:59pm on Friday. sid518 may have another link on Yale's Web site that might state things differently. If so, Yale would be the exception, not the norm.

But seriously -- I'd suggest getting off of CC and using that time to get the application in a few hours early. The servers melt down close to every deadline; "technical difficulties grace period" or no, it's not worth the added stress.

Good luck to all of you with your applications!
  • Pianomom12Pianomom12 Posts: 183Registered User Junior Member
    Same question here. When it says the deadline is "by January 1st", my interpretation was that it is December 31st. When it says "January 1st," I'm also confused. Surely makes a big difference to our kids who may still be struggling to get everything completed so any clear insights here would help this parent quite a bit. Thanks.