Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How to calculate weighted GPA in common app?

getin2011getin2011 Posts: 132Registered User Junior Member
edited June 2010 in Common Application
How to calculate weighted GPA in common app?
Does it include the grades in the 9th grade?
Post edited by getin2011 on

Replies to: How to calculate weighted GPA in common app?

• NOLAhornets23NOLAhornets23 Posts: 129Registered User Junior Member
    Yeah it includes all highschool grades. An honors class adds 0.5 to each unweighted grade, and an AP class adds 1.0 to each grade. For example, a B in Honors English is 3.5. Another example, a C in AP Physics is 3.0. Add the weights as necessary, add all class grades together, divide by number of classes, and there it is.

Note, this is just the most common way I know school do weighted. Your school may be different, as there are many, many ways that schools do grade weighting differently.
  • getin2011getin2011 Posts: 132Registered User Junior Member
    My school does not weight APs, Honors or any classes. What will happen? Do I leave weighted GPA blank or unknown?
  • cowking15cowking15 Posts: 725Registered User Member
    getin, then you put your school does not weight the GPA. They will know that also by your counselor rec that explains how your school calculates gpa, and what the #1 ranked student's gpa is.
  • WinstonWolfeWinstonWolfe Posts: 361Registered User Member
    The online application will have specific instructions on how to respond to the GPA and rank questions. The GPA you report should be the one calculated by your school. If you school does not calculate a GPA, you will be instructed to leave the section blank.