Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Does babysitting count as an EC?

arsenalcrazyarsenalcrazy Posts: 251Registered User Junior Member
edited July 2010 in Common Application
Haha this seems like a really weird question but does it? To save money, my junior and senior year (next year) I babysit my 5 year old brother everyday after school instead of him going to after school care. Because I need to be home to watch him it also meant I had to cut back a lot on my other ECs that frequently take place after school.

It seems weird to list taking care of family as an EC but should I put it on my app to kind of explain why it looks like I wasn't involved in much?
Post edited by arsenalcrazy on

Replies to: Does babysitting count as an EC?

• labellehistoirelabellehistoire Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    I wouldn't put it in your extra-curriculars list but find some way to include in your application. Colleges do take this into account. Especially if a student had to work to support family and similar accounts like your situation. Maybe this can find its way into an essay or you can write-up something separately and include it in the application.
  • thumperrthumperr Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    Yes, babysitting should be listed as work experience if you earned money. If not, I don't consider it an extracurricular, but you could explain your situation like labellehistoire suggested.
  • arsenalcrazyarsenalcrazy Posts: 251Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks for the advice! :)
    Yeah, I'll try explaining it in an essay or something. That sounds better than listing it as an EC or work or something.