Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

HELP! Special Circumstances, Additional Qualifications, etc.

123freeup123freeup Posts: 36Registered User Junior Member
edited September 2010 in Common Application
Hello everyone.

I am sure that this portion is already the "hot topic" of the Common App, but I am unsure about what I should write.

"Include any additional information that you would like to provide regarding special circumstances, additional qualifications, etc.

Under the guise of "special circumstances", I was considering writing about bing forced to leave High School for medical reasons, hence the lack of consistency in HS grades, no class rank and receiving a degree from an adult school. This would also encompass the reasons why I was not a member of any clubs and EC's in HS.

Would this be appropriate? I am aware that most individuals hold the opinion that this section should be used as location for a resume. However, shall I explain my medical history in order to explain my lack of an "orthodox" HS record??
Post edited by 123freeup on

Replies to: HELP! Special Circumstances, Additional Qualifications, etc.

• 123freeup123freeup Posts: 36Registered User Junior Member
    bump................
  • alasmiasalasmias Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    Hi 123freeup, I'm as clueless about this thing as you are, but that sounds just fine! It spefically says 'special circumstances' and you have very special circumstances. You can include a resume as well if you'd like.

I would also like to bump this thread because I have another question about this section: Is it appropriate to write about how much I've grown as a person over the course of my high school career? I wouldn't be giving an excuse for anything on my app, I would just like to point out that I had spent a lot of time in reflection, meditation, therapy, forced risk-taking, etc, in order to get over some trauma I had experienced and some dysfunctional behaviors I had formed. Do you think it'd be possible for me to put this in a way that didn't sound whiney? Also how much detail about the dysfunctional behaviors should I go into?
  • danceclassdanceclass Posts: 728Registered User Member
    Did your dysfunctional behavior affect your grades/performance in a negative way? Then that needs to be explained, and now you can say you've put it all behind you. Put a positive spin on it. If your behavior has not had a negative affect, then why bring it up? Unless, is something about your experience that would make you more attractive to the college?