Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

is community college hard? experienced ppl only

basedboybasedboy Posts: 151Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2010 in Community Colleges
im enrolling in community college next month, im kinda scared it might me hard, im just trying to get these 24 credits and get out asap, im taking 5 classes no math for right now, major is business, so im taking intro to business, us history, 101 english, development class, & (cant remember the science) but i hope its not hard, im scared of writing papers i hope i dont get alot of papers to write but anyway im a try my best i really want a 3.5 gpa or higher anything less will be a dissapointment
Post edited by basedboy on

Replies to: is community college hard? experienced ppl only

• DaineseDainese Posts: 1,240Registered User Senior Member
    for some it is, for some it isnt.

when i took 5 classes it was stressful. but i still managed to make it through with a 3.8 gpa. the classes you have seem to be a bit heavy, so you will have to be able to manage your time really well.

just try taking the 5 and be aware of drop dates. if its too much to handle, drop the one you need the least and go from there :)
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Posts: 14,877Registered User Senior Member
    Depends on you, your attitude, and how hard you work. I went back to community college once my youngest child went to college (yes, I'm one of those old fogies in class with the 18 year olds ;)). With hard work I am graduating with an associate's in business next week and am transferring to complete an accounting degree. I worked pretty hard for 2 years, especially in classes like statistics and calculus (for business - no trig) as it was a looong time since I had done math, and am graduating with 4.0 GPA. . If I can do it after being out of school for decades, I'm sure you can do great! But I am constantly surprised by some of the students who don't come to class prepared, don't do their homework, and skip class continuously. Then they wonder why they are not doing well. Work hard, come to class prepared, and go to class and you will do fine
  • DaineseDainese Posts: 1,240Registered User Senior Member
    :thumbs up: to swimcatsmom. its never easy going to school, or for that matter, going BACK to school. best of luck once you transfer :D
  • Leuzinger2010Leuzinger2010 Posts: 92Registered User Junior Member
    This is my first semester and I'm currently taking 4 classes. I am involved in 4 clubs on campus and they take up time even though I am unemployed. Getting involve on campus will help you make a lot of friends in community college. My best advice is to get ahead in ur classes as quick as you can because it is really easy to slack off. (especially on the semester system.) Also, make use of all the resources available on campus. There are tutor centers where people help you write ur essays and even read them over for errors; There are also tutors for subjects like math and science. Build relationships with your professors early on, and take advantage of all extra credit opportunities. Join programs that will give you priority registration. Finally, enjoy learning the material and you will realize community college is not hard and will pass by sooner than you think.
  • NotAClueNotAClue Posts: 456Registered User Member
    Depends on alot of factors. My cc has online classes that are ridiculously easy. The real classes depend mostly on the instructor and your attitude. Use ratemyprofessor.com and be prepared to put in the work and it won't be bad.
  • calibabecalibabe Posts: 182Registered User Junior Member
    It's college so... It depends on where you go, how much effort and time you're willing to put in, and how good the profs are.
  • U2maniacU2maniac Posts: 109Registered User Junior Member
    I graduated with an Associate's in engineering. It depends on what type of classes you take. Personally, science classes with lab are a bit heavy but definitely not impossible if you do the work and study. Math can be time consuming but again depending on which one you're taking, I took Calculus 1-3 and differential equations. The lighter ones for me were humanities classes and english.
    If you're working it will be tougher for you when you have harder classes at the same time. I didn't work and went to school full time. I would have flunked the hard classes if I had worked.
    From the classes you're taking, you should be able to manage them so I wouldn't worry if were you.
  • lavender19lavender19 Posts: 298Registered User Junior Member
    It depends on how much time you study. Science, math, and writing are time consuming. You can ace them if you put effort in them. I took 5 classes, worked part time, and was president of a club. I literally had no time for myself though, but at least I aced all my classes. So honestly, it depends on how well you want to do and how much time you can contribute.
  • sasha90sasha90 Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    Not hard if you apply yourself, some professors are more lenient because its a CC though. You may get lucky, it really depends on what kind of student you are. Keep in mind you are able to drop a class within the first two weeks or so with no record of it, you'll never know until you try!