Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How to survive community college for one semester

yonkersmallu27yonkersmallu27 Posts: 70Registered User Junior Member
edited June 2011 in Community Colleges
Hello

So i am going to Bergen Community College for one semester to save money
I have to complete 12 college level credits before I transfer out to WPUNJ
So i was wondering, can you give me advice and tips on surviving community college and getting high grades?
I HAVE to get good grades and good gpa (at the minimum 2.8 or higher)
But I will only be there for one semester is it possible to get a good gpa (like at the minimum at 2.8-3.2)
SO any tips on acing test and classes?
Post edited by yonkersmallu27 on

Replies to: How to survive community college for one semester

• yonkersmallu27yonkersmallu27 Posts: 70Registered User Junior Member
    Please respond I am being serious
  • speakbraillespeakbraille Posts: 237Registered User Junior Member
    Why dont you stay there to fulfill all GE requirements? I'm saving tons of money going to a CC, I turned down a private university for one. My tip for you, go to class, take good notes, listen, do homework, study, do your best on exams/finals. There you go, good luck.
  • basedboybasedboy Posts: 151Registered User Junior Member
    Yeah pick easy nice teachers (RateMyProfessors), don't procrastinate... the usual... but seriously its community college its not hard to get above a 3.2 especially taking 12 credits
  • DaineseDainese Posts: 1,240Registered User Senior Member
    take advantage of the free tutoring services too :)
    most CCs have some place that will help you with math and english.
    thnaks!any more inside tips?and secrets in you know getting easy A's?:)

hey uh speakbraille i was wondering what were you going to say to the last part of my post?apparently the moderator thought it was"insulting". lol
    and oh yeah I am saying no to a private college also . College of St Elizabeth an all girls catholic college in NJ. IT cost SOO much money even with scholarships. I look at it as sacrificing first semester "of having the first year college dorm experience"by going to cc and doing everyone a favor by going to cc and saving money.
    and oh yeah just forget this post (hey uh speakbraille i was wondering what were you going to say to the last part of my post?apparently the moderator thought it was"insulting". lol) i couldn't delete, it so just ignore it and dont respond to lol
    OHHH and whats the experience at cc like? how is it? i know its basically all studying, but is their events and stuff you can attend for a break like during school and on weekends?
    are their any field trips?(is there any field trips any college?especially at cc?)
    ONE MORE thing whats the schedule like at cc?how do you manage your time coming back and forth(if you do instead of staying there and then coming home)
    how do you manage studying and doing homework for each class?is the time managing for homework and studying like high school except harder?
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Posts: 24,269Registered User Senior Member
    Find out what courses kids say are good, which profs are great at school. Also look at what course would work with the next college. It depends on the cc as to how things are. There are some that have more amenities than some 4 year schools.
  • DaineseDainese Posts: 1,240Registered User Senior Member
    theres nothing really to worry about.
    the hardest part is just getting the classes because of the budge cuts.
    but once u got them...the rest is self explanatory.

i lived walking distance from my CC and i still stayed there to study occasionally.
    make friends, it will help!
  • ChadAgrawalChadAgrawal Posts: 4Registered User New Member
    Hey Yonkers,

Before looking for the easy way out and shooting for just a 2.8. I would look at why you are going to community college and what are your goals for receiving an education. Are you trying to get a quality education? Do you want to learn? Do you want a high paying job? Once you know what you want, you can follow some basic study rules, anyone can get a 4.0 GPA.

Feel free to PM me,

Chad Agrawal
  • PRiNCESSMAHiNAPRiNCESSMAHiNA Posts: 2,120Registered User Senior Member
    Don't just go with the intent of it being 'easy'. Work hard and challenge yourself. A 2.8 is fairly low and pretty easy to achieve.
    Community College IS real college and you should treat it as such.
  • RisingSun13RisingSun13 Posts: 88Registered User Junior Member
    ^ I concur, don't slack it like many other people. I was actually many other people. I regret that I did because I could of save a whole lot more money if I appreciated more of what a community college can offer earlier. Here is your chance to actually get ahead of the game at a community college.
  • unnamedunnamed Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    Don't expect it to be easy even in an 'easy' class what people mean by easy is that your professor is helpful or gives multiple choice tests, but in general these classes will still be challenging, and after all is said and done you should strive for atleast a 90% in all your classes to buffet your grades later on.