Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Server crash

metsfanAJMmetsfanAJM Posts: 1,462Registered User Senior Member
edited April 2013 in Community & Forum Issues
The servers overloaded multiple times within the past hour, most likely due to SAT and university results being announced. Just figured I'd let the admins know in case they didn't already know about this, though I'm sure they're well aware.
Post edited by metsfanAJM on

Replies to: Server crash

• Roger_DooleyRoger_Dooley Posts: 106,185Founder Senior Member
    We've got a team monitoring the servers and things are healthy so far, metsfanAJM. We've restarted a few balky ones, maybe you happened to hit one of those.
  • dodgersmomdodgersmom Posts: 6,556Registered User Senior Member
    Problems going from bad to worse . . . pages not loading at all, or loading with odd formatting.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Posts: 24,482Registered User Senior Member
    It's been giving me error messages for the last 6 hours. Now I'm getting the weird format that dodger is talking about. For example, my top bar now looks like this: more featured discussions ...

Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 >

Instead of just showing pages 1-5 or whatever it was before.

The servers are not OK.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Posts: 20,082Super Moderator Senior Member
    I'm getting the weird format, also.
  • emilybeeemilybee Posts: 7,604Registered User Senior Member
    I am getting the weird format, too.
  • metsfanAJMmetsfanAJM Posts: 1,462Registered User Senior Member
    Yeah, same here. Plus, there has been significant lag when pages do end up loading, otherwise they just crash, saying that the server was too busy.
  • dadinatordadinator Posts: 1,359Registered User Senior Member
    Same as everyone above - weird format and repeatedly get message that the server is busy.
    There were some server busy messages at peak load times - that kept things under control and prevented the site from going down due to server crashes. Hopefully, nobody got too many. As soon as things calmed down a wee bit, we disabled that.
    We weren't able to observe the weird format issue. Maybe something caused by an incomplete page load. We tried to reproduce it from various locations, but nobody could.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Posts: 24,482Registered User Senior Member
    I'm still getting it.
  • RunsWScissorsRunsWScissors Posts: 452Registered User Member
    I'm only getting it on the Engineering Majors forum . But I think you all have done an excellent job keeping things going!
  • ognopgodognopgod Posts: 341Registered User Member
    I am also getting it. Take for e.g. main college pages like: University of Pennsylvania - College Confidential

I would also check out your ad servers since on these pages none of your ads are showing. Maybe conflicting javascripts.

The slow loading of pages I have also been experiencing for a few days now.
  • metsfanAJMmetsfanAJM Posts: 1,462Registered User Senior Member
    It seems like it's only happening in a few forums. While this forum and the SAT prep forum, for example, appear to be just fine, the HSL and CC Cafe forums are experiencing the formatting issue.
  • dodgersmomdodgersmom Posts: 6,556Registered User Senior Member
    You can't replicate the weird format? Well, I sure can!!!

There are 1610 pages in the parents forum . . . How do I know? Because I can access any one of them that I want! Right, I have a choice of any of 1610 individual pages!!! Now how wide a screen do you imagine it would take to accommodate that???

It is AWFUL - I can't see the date or time of the last post, or the name of the user that posted!
    The specific forum was the lacking clue! I see it... fix underway!