Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

***POSTS CANNOT BE DELETED - Think Carefully before Posting Any Identifying Information***

Replies to: ***POSTS CANNOT BE DELETED - Think Carefully before Posting Any Identifying Information***

• PhilovitistPhilovitist Registered User Posts: 2,739 Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    It's in the Terms of Services, but that doesn't make it right. The downside ("People will get cute!") clearly doesn't outweigh the upside ("People have much more control over the personal information that they have available on the internet"). This decision you guys have made is clearly a net negative for community members and I wonder why you guys are so adamant about it.

Do a poll of community members. See what they prefer.
  • GA2012MOMGA2012MOM Registered User Posts: 5,440 Senior Member
    Yes seargent schultz
  • capcap Registered User Posts: 875 Member
    This is the only board I've seen where you can't delete your own posts. Another one I read discourages it, but members have the ability to do so. It's full of younger people who post umm, whiny, stuff and they want to delete after they don't like the responses they get. Usually by that time, someone has "QFP'ed" them anyway - quoted for posterity. That board's purpose is nothing at all like CC.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 30,928 Super Moderator
    Yes seargent schultz

Really? Wow...
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 32,141 Senior Member
    The downside ("People will get cute!") clearly doesn't outweigh the upside ("People have much more control over the personal information that they have available on the internet").

People have 100% control over what they put on the internet. Just sayin'

Plus, you can always just delete all the text in your post within the hour. An hour is PLENTY of time (too much IMO)
  • GA2012MOMGA2012MOM Registered User Posts: 5,440 Senior Member
    ML, my comment was made before anothers edit.
    ML, my comment was made before anothers edit.

@GA2012MOM, thanks for the clarification. *****And THAT, people, @philovitist @cap is why CC doesn't allow endless editing/deleting!! My feelings were hurt, but GA2012MOM's comment wasn't even directed at me!
  • absentionsabsentions Registered User Posts: 282 Junior Member
    Actually, questions also can't be deleted from Yahoo Answers (I think after a certain period of time). I also don't agree with that.
    @absentions, CC and Yahoo Answers each want to maintain a data base of information. It's not fair for people to ask for and receive answers, then just delete the information because they're done. If people don't want their posts to remain, they don't have to put them up in the first place.
  • LBad96LBad96 Registered User Posts: 3,499 Senior Member
    To be fair, I've had threads deleted before without an apparent reason. Seems that you've broken your own terms of service?
    @lbad96, you apparently haven't read the TOS. You might want to do that. Here is the relevant section:

<<Moderation. CollegeConfidential.com moderators and administrators may edit, move, and delete posts to make them more accessible or to bring them into compliance with our TOS. If an edit changes the context or meaning of the post in any significant way, moderators will usually include a note that the post has been edited in the post itself. All moderation, however, is performed on a "best efforts" basis - each poster is fully responsible for his/her own posts, and each visitor is responsible for what he/she reads. Offensive posts should be reported to the moderators, and every effort will be made to remove them as soon as possible. Out of respect for both moderators and policies, discussion of moderator actions and forum policies is welcomed via private message or e-mail; these issues are off-topic for the forums.>>
  • TranquilMindTranquilMind Registered User Posts: 700 Member
    Posters should be able to delete and/or edit their own posts at any time. Most sites allow editing and deleting of posts. I had not remembered this from the terms, but I will be extra careful to be as nonspecific as possible in the future here.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 32,141 Senior Member
    Tranquil, you've been here for nearly 4 years. This aspect hasn't really changed other than our edit time has been tripled.

I understand people being upset (trust me, I'm one of the loudest, most obnoxious people on the other thread), but I don't understand why some long-time posters are upset about rules that have been there since before the change over.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,106 Senior Member
    ^ and if they decide you can't delete after an hour, then you can't delete after an hour. So be careful what you write, because, on a public, mostly anon forum, "you are what you write." I thought ML's OP advice was good.
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap Registered User Posts: 11,788 Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    No other board I frequent allows me to completely delete a post. Not Chowhound, not Medscape. I don't think Gardenweb does either, but they make you check what you are posting a few times before it's official. At least they used to.

And I will confess I used to get "cute" from time to time here on CC. Mostly I wasn't being cute, but often regretted what I'd posted in the heat of the moment.

Let's see if I come back and take that last bit out in time!
    Post edited by Shrinkrap on
This discussion has been closed.