Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Self-Studying for the SAT during Summer

fearforthefuturefearforthefuture Registered User Posts: 30 New Member
So I've decided to just mainly self-study for SAT, along with weekend SAT tutoring (4 hours a week, not much) and I don't have any idea on how to work my schedule.

So the place where I'm getting some SAT prep is on Friday, they have testing from 2-6 and on Saturday they have review from 9-1. However, since it's only a practice test a week and 4 hours of prep, I think I'm going to need to self-study a lot more. I haven't taken a psat test yet, but if my goal was 1350, how many days a week should I study? How many hours a day should I study? How many practice tests should I take in a week? How many weeks should I study beforehand? How much time should I spend on Khan Academy a week? Should I do all my self studying on the blue book or incorporate other study guides as well? If I incorporate other study guides as well, which do you recommend? How much time should I spend on study guides in a week?

I know that's a lot of questions, but as of right now I really don't know what I should be doing, haha.

Replies to: Self-Studying for the SAT during Summer

• LaxKid16LaxKid16 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    There are some people who can score a 1350 without any preparation, and who knows, you might be one of them.

My advice to you: At least take a practice test so you know where you stand, where your strengths and weaknesses are, and to get an overall feel for the test. If you've never taken a PSAT I assume you're still early in high school, so I would wait for that in the fall. But if that isn't an option, at least take a practice test to give yourself a barometer of where you're at with the test.

And as far as studying; you don't really know what to study for if you don't know where your weaknesses are.

Best of luck!