Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

College Confidential’s New College Search Tool

Replies to: College Confidential’s New College Search Tool

• erictelevisionerictelevision Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    You also removed extracurricular activities AND sports?!
    I also liked the more finely graded student body size selection.
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 17,027 Senior Member
    edited August 11
    I tried it with no success. Sorry to say that as of now don't see this as an improvement on the old search tool and would not recommend people use it. Hopefully it will be refined over time.

--I had trouble inputting campus setting.
    --Are the first few schools sponsoring the CC site because they have no relation to the search (and that is not made clear)
    --Surprised that ECs and sports are no longer included
    --Also surprised that religious affiliation is not longer included
    --I input my D's stats and the search engine missed way too many obvious target schools and just showed just one reasonable choice which was an all-girls school.
    Happy1: you hit on EVERY ONE of my complaints!
  • GatormamaGatormama Registered User Posts: 535 Member
    Reiterating the need to include ECs/sports. Many many kids are looking for schools with a particular sport; to not include this makes the tool useless for them.
    Also, for me, several SAT range options were grayed out and could not be selected.
    I can't recommend this tool at all in its current form.
  • twinsmamatwinsmama Registered User Posts: 1,233 Senior Member
    Very difficult to get it to function at all (I actually haven't run into a website this difficult to use in many years), but when I finally did manage to enter all filter criteria, the list was missing probably dozens of schools, including most of the colleges my kids are applying to. This was a VERY broad test search: New England, "Mid East," Great Lakes, all but rural location, two highest stat tiers (for example, covering ACT 26-36).
    I also hope you restore the ability to select each minority population by %.
    It occurred to me you ALSO removed references to disability accommodation.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 51,645 Senior Member
    ooh a new toy!
    @jym626 the toy is broken. :(
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 51,645 Senior Member
    Already?? Who played with it too hard and broke it already? Send yourself to time out for that one, whoever you are.
  • Marg532Marg532 Registered User Posts: 359 Member
    I tried inputting my test scores and, like @3scoutsmom my score was greyed out, but it was on the lower end of the spectrum, rather than the higher side. It's a bit weird that there would be listed options but they are unable to be selected. I filled out the surveymonkey survey, too.
  • Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 4,358 Senior Member
    If there's no GPA listed for a school it's tough to find it using the search. For instance, if you input "History, general/Maine/4-year you get Bowdoin, Bates and Colby, but as soon as you add a GPA Bates and Colby disappear. The same thing happens if you input a campus setting. Apparently Bates and Colby are neither city, suburb, town, nor rural.

All in all, I would not use nor would I recommend this search engine in its current form.
  • TiggerDadTiggerDad Registered User Posts: 780 Member
    I just tried the filtered search strictly by the highest test scores (701-800 SAT and 31-36 ACT Composite), the highest GPA (4.0-4.3 Weighted), and the "Most Selective Acceptance Rate." Just two results:

Harvard University with 6% Acceptance Rate
    University of Chicago with 8% Acceptance Rate

Whatever happened to other most selective schools within the score and GPA range?
    The new engine has fewer options, and is less intuitively set up.