Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

College Confidential’s New College Search Tool

13»

Replies to: College Confidential’s New College Search Tool

• YnotgoYnotgo Registered User Posts: 3,371 Senior Member
    How is anyone even using this to report problems? I can type in any fields on Chrome, IE, or Firefox.
  • evergreen5evergreen5 Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    In Safari, the ads for the promoted schools completely cover the advanced search options and I see no way to get the ads out of the way. Essentially, it is not possible for me to use advanced search.
  • erictelevisionerictelevision Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    And you can't organize them by enrollment?! Seriously, EPIC FAIL!
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,612 Senior Member
    Wow, the new search tool is, being honest, not good. I completed the survey and left comments. I hope someone reads them. At the moment, I would say it's pretty useless. I was able to go on advanced search, but it's sooooo generic. Choose a college size: small, medium, big. Where's the context? What size is medium? All the old features that allowed you to choose many different criteria such as conservative, liberal, diverse, Greek, sport, diverse, etc... are not there. How about an option for retention rates? I put in some fairly average criteria in two regions and got back four results, none of which were anywhere on my radar, and I know that there should be many more options than the ones provided. Don't they test things like this before putting them live?
  • bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 7,842 Senior Member
    I think someone mentioned this but perhaps using cost of attendance instead of tuition? Someone just starting out might think those are the final numbers, when in reality there's thousands more in room and board to pay on top of that. On the results screen it doesn't say whether it's tuition or CoA, just lists the number, and people new to the college process might not know the details of tuition vs CoA anyway.
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 17,027 Senior Member
    edited August 13
    I posted earlier but honestly after such a long wait, this tool is a big disappointment. The prior version was much more comprehensive in scope. gave far better results, and listed far more schools and the degree they matched. I used to recommend the CC tool to posters all the time but in good conscience I cannot do so at this point which is a shame. I imagine a great deal of effort went into this update but as of now I hope you can either restore the previous version or work quickly improve the update.
  • erictelevisionerictelevision Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    College Board will only show schools with ALL selected majors, CC displayed ANY school with a selected major.
  • saharafrogsaharafrog Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    My first thoughts upon trying out the new search tool:
    1) I'm glad my daughter has already graduated and is enrolled in a college. If we were searching today, this tool would be of little use, especially compared to the previous one.
    2) I hope I can run into the parent of my DD's friend so I can unrecommend using CC's search tool. I had told her how great the old one was and to look out for the new one to show up.

Did CC get sued over their search tool? I can't think of any other reason it would have disappeared so suddenly, been gone so long, and been given such a pathetic replacement.

The old tool was not perfect, but it was much better. ECs and sports filters, religious affiliation filter, scores/gpa did not seem be so sensitive in filtering. I also liked the weighting, ie a school would still show up in your results without meeting all of your criteria, but the % would tell you how close they matched.

BTW - I did fill-out the survey. Did not give a glowing review.
  • dowzerwdowzerw Registered User Posts: 2,189 Senior Member
    I just stumbled across this and it explains some things. My fourth kid is a high school senior and having been through this rodeo several times before, CCs old search tool was the best one I could find and one
    i relied on. I'm disappointed it is gone and I am also disappointed the new one doesn't seem to do anything but show promoted options. Has it gone back to the drawing board?
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 51,645 Senior Member
    Maybe when Hobsons bought CC there was some proprietary issue with the search tool? Just a thought
    When did Hobson's buy CC? hmm....
  • FrothyShakeFrothyShake Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    @dowzerw - You can still access the old one on the collegeview. com website http://www.collegeview.com/collegesearch/index.jsp
  • CCadmin_SorinCCadmin_Sorin Community Manager Posts: 1,547 Community Manager
    edited September 6
    Hi there,

We wanted to provide an update on our new college search tool:

As we continue to work to enhance the tool so that searching for colleges is both straightforward and informative to you, we have made updates based on feedback and suggestions from our visitors who have taken the time to let us know how the experience is working for them.

The bug that was being experienced by those using Internet Explorer 10 or 11 as their browser of choice is now resolved. And as previously mentioned, we will continue our effort to fine-tune the information you can find on each school page as well as making data updates as we receive them so that the information you find is accurate and up to date.

Again, please continue to provide feedback on your experience by clicking on the link below. This will help shape the direction of our site so that all of our users can find colleges that fit who they are and what they aspire to be.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CCSearchSurvey

Thanks again!

- The College Confidential Team
  • GatormamaGatormama Registered User Posts: 535 Member
    edited September 6
    Can only put in one major?
    Also, still no options for the other things, like sports, Greek life, etc.
    Tuition only as cost is still there (total COA is probably preferable)
    I'll fill out the survey again, but frankly, I think I'll just be using the one linked to above. My kid isn't getting any younger ....

ETA - actually, if you've taken the survey, you can't take it again.
    So I hope someone is reading this thread...
13»