Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

College Confidential’s New College Search Tool

CCadmin_SorinCCadmin_Sorin Community Manager Posts: 1,547 Community Manager
edited August 9 in Community & Forum Issues
Hi there! College Confidential has just launched a new college search tool and we’re excited to tell you all about it:

http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools

We have been working to enhance the look and feel of the tool so that searching for colleges is both straightforward and informative. We will continue our effort to add additional filter categories, fine-tune the information you can find on each school page, and update the data biannually so that the information you find is accurate and up to date.

As always, your feedback is important to us. Using the form below will help us aggregate your feedback so that we can continually work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs. Our goal is that all of our users find colleges that fit who they are and what they aspire to be.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CCSearchSurvey

Happy searching!

- The College Confidential Team

Replies to: College Confidential’s New College Search Tool

• bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 4,129 Senior Member
    edited August 9
    Great, thank you!!!

ETA... admittedly, I NEED a new computer before the school year starts.

But I clicked on "FInd a College" above.

When I put a major and hit Enter, nothing happened

When I tried Advanced Search, I got a totally white screen.

Probably my computer, but wanted to make you aware.
  • CCadmin_SorinCCadmin_Sorin Community Manager Posts: 1,547 Community Manager
    @bjkmom, thanks for reporting! If you haven't already, can you please take the survey and detail the issue? Thanks a lot!
    After I have a cup of tea, I'll try it on my husband's computer.. the one that actually works.

If it's still a problem, I'll fill out the survey. Otherwise, I'll start to nag him about replacing my computer before school starts.
  • GatormamaGatormama Registered User Posts: 540 Member
    edited August 10
    OK, initial impressions - I've been waiting for this to go back up for over a year!
    First, it is time-consuming and annoying to have to reopen the Majors pulldown to select more than one. You select one, the selection is recorded, and the pulldown closes. You have to reopen and scroll to where you were, then select another, it closes, you reopen, etc etc.

Second: The "promoted" colleges at the top of the list you generate hides the ordering options.

It took me a while to realize that you can order the list - because the pulldown menu that gives you those options doesn't appear until after the promoted colleges at the top. Could that pulldown be put up top where it's visible at once?

Will be back with more as I explore more. But thanks - it is, by far, the most comprehensive list of majors I have ever seen.
    I tried on my husband's computer, with the same results.

I filled out the survey-- unfavorably-- figuring you would want to know what the issues are. But I'll keep trying as you work out the bugs. I expect that my students will get a lot of use from this feature, and I want to be on top of how to best advise them.
  • rwmannesqrwmannesq Registered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
    I'm not sure what criteria you are using for choosing which colleges to display, but it may be set too conservatively. I used the filters under advanced search to pull up what I already know exists and LMU wasn't on the list. After tinkering with the filters (I removed the SAT scores) LMU popped up. However, those scores are definitely within the 50% so not sure why it didn't display.
  • Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 4,362 Senior Member
    "Mid East" is strange phrasing. Most searches will use "Mid Atlantic" for the same states.
  • GatormamaGatormama Registered User Posts: 540 Member
    edited August 10
    Yeah, filtering seems to be off. Keyword search is flawed.

I searched for five majors (at once) and got 999 results (which I think might be simply a cap on the number returned). For comparison's sake, these majors, when I plug them into the College Board search function as "must-haves," give me only about 35 results.

When I pull up one college from the search results, it shows a list of majors -- not the complete list of majors that I know the college offers -- but a list that I'm guessing is supposed to conform to my search inquiry. But they are not relevant. e.g. - I search for environmental science, and I seem to just be getting every college that has "science" as a major.
  • me29034me29034 Registered User Posts: 1,129 Senior Member
    It just doesn't seem to work for me. I selected New England for location. 4 year college. Then test scores of Math in the 600-700 range and Reading in the 500-600 range. There should be many many schools. It gave me two results - UMass Amherst and Bentley. That's it. That's useless.
    edited August 10
    Thanks for the valuable feedback, guys! Please make sure to use our survey to detail the issues. Our team will consider the input as we work diligently to improve the tool. Thanks again!
  • FrothyShakeFrothyShake Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    edited August 11
    Nothing is working for me at all. On the main page, I typed in a college name and it displays "No results found, try another search". On the Advanced Search page, the results area just shows "We're sorry, an issue occurred when fetching your results. Please try again. Reset Search". I get nothing at all showing in any of the drop downs- it's all greyed-out. (Using Chrome Browser BTW.) Using Internet Explorer, I get a white screen for the Advanced Search.
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 4,218 Senior Member
    I went to advanced seach and picked state Texas, school type 4 year, major computer science but when I tried to enter my son's stats it would not let me enter them, it would only let me enter lower stats both SAT and GPA than he has, the higher fields were grayed out. Gave up after that, if I can't enter my kid's actual scores and GPA it can't be very accurate.
  • erictelevisionerictelevision Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    You deleted SEVERAL useful majors, eliminated the diversity option, AND extracurricular selectors! EPIC fail.
    Guys, as always, thanks so much for the great feedback! We are working diligently to improve the search tool, so any detailed feedback is of great help. Things like which school did you type when you got 0 results or what were the steps you took to see a white screen, etc., are very helpful in tweaking how the results display.

@erictelevision, which were the useful majors that were deleted?

Thanks again and we really appreciate your help!
  • erictelevisionerictelevision Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    Indigenous/Native American Studies, Native American languages, Far Eastern Studies, Chicano Studies, Hindu Studies. Couple others I'm probably forgetting. I also REALLY liked the ability to pick how diverse the school was, and the range of minority populations you could select from.