Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Who do I talk to at this point?

HonorMulanHonorMulan Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
I submitted a grade change basis to S/NC a class. Meaning to just take the class for credit or no credit. This was in spring and they told me it did not go through. So, I submitted a petition form in spring past the deadline. Fast forward now to 4 months later of me constantly calling and emailing and they tell me on the 25th of September that it was denied. I tried calling my college office and the lady told me she was not going to argue with me and hung up. After I attempted to explain the problem. I emailed the dean of CHASS (College of social sciences) The dean forwarded to email to the assistant dean who essentialy emailed me saying it was denied and theres nothing that can be done.

At this point who can I talk to about an appeal? I have just been trying to get in contact with someone directly to speak about the issue and point out exactly what happens. However, I either get hung up on or no response to emails.

Ona side note this was a class that had nothing to do with my major which is why I was allowed to "S/NC" it wasa class I just wanted to take for credit not a letter grade. The teacher also signed my petition stating I did come to class everyday and was attentive. At this point what can I do or who can I talk to?

Replies to: Who do I talk to at this point?

• stradmomstradmom Registered User Posts: 4,640 Senior Member
    In your student handbook, there is a clearly defined procedure for such complaints. Find out what it is and follow the steps outlined in the procedure. Has anyone told you *why* it was denied?

Also, do you think there might be anything in the tone of your emails/phone calls that might be causing people to hang up on you?
  • HonorMulanHonorMulan Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    Do you know where I can find this handbook? I googled my school + handbook and found no results.
  • stradmomstradmom Registered User Posts: 4,640 Senior Member
    Go to your campus web page. If there's a search bar, search "student handbook." If there's not, go to the Student Affairs portion of the website. If you can't find it there, go to the Student Affairs office and ask the secretary where you can get a copy.
  • tucsonmomtucsonmom Registered User Posts: 323 Member
    We can't say for sure where you would find it on your school's website because none of us know where you go to school. it might not be called student handbook. It might be in the course catalog. And if you can't find it online by searching through other means, go to one of the campus administration offices in person to inquire.
  • tucsonmomtucsonmom Registered User Posts: 323 Member
    Also, you should be doing a search using the search utility on your school's specific website, not on Google.
  • bopperbopper Registered User Posts: 7,767 Senior Member
    edited September 29
    Talk to your adviser. Ask them who to talk to and also how to handle it.

Also try the Ombudsperson at your college. I am not sure where you are going, but you have posted about UCR, so if you are going there, then it would be:
    http://administrativeresolution.ucr.edu/ombudsperson.html

Have information/evidence about:

What class it was
    Who was the professor
    When did you send the form
    What was on the form
    Do you have evidence of when you sent it (e.g., email)
    Did you follow the instructions on how to handle this type of thing initially?

Also, what grade did you get inthe class?

http://chassstudentaffairs.ucr.edu/academic_standing/options.html

https://issuu.com/ucrsamc/docs/16-17_ucr_general_catalog_updated