Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

which cal states/socal schools can i transfer from orange coast college to with AA-T and 2.7 gpa

calstategirlcalstategirl Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
My major is psychology and I thought i would have more time to bring up my gpa before submitting any application but turns out that i dont. I still have 30 credits to do so my gpa IS going to be raised but the initial gpa that they will see is the 2.7. Which schools will take into account that i still have 30 credits to fulfill in order to transfer and my gpa will be higher?

Replies to: which cal states/socal schools can i transfer from orange coast college to with AA-T and 2.7 gpa

• NCalRentNCalRent Registered User Posts: 4,721 Senior Member
    most of them.but, not the more popular campuses. SDSU, CPSLO, CSULB, Fullerton, Fresno and Chico are probablty out but, that leaves a bunch. I'd start with Sac (probably) and SJ and SF each had a solid program and is worth a look.
  • GumbymomGumbymom Registered User Posts: 18,765 Senior Member
    I agree that the top Cal States (impacted campuses) listed above, would be tough admits but the majority of the CSU's are definitely possible. After you apply, you will be asked to update your grades for your Fall in-progress courses, so these grades will impact your chances.
    For example SJSU requires a 2.6 minimum for transfer as a Psych major.

http://www.sjsu.edu/admissions/impaction/impactionresultstransfer/index.html

Best of luck.
  • calstategirlcalstategirl Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    thank you!! what about northridge? i spoke to someone in admissions and asked them what they transfer gpa for psych majors is and he didnt know; so i asked him what the transfer gpa is in general and he didnt know. he put me on hold for a while and then came back and said that the transfer gpa is 3.5-3.9........ and that doesnt seem right.
    CSUN has been very impacted for non-local applicants so the standards are higher. I know 2 years back, they accepted no non-locals.
    wow thats surprising... so which cal states should i apply to and or private schools?
  • CorbettCorbett Registered User Posts: 2,590 Senior Member
    edited October 6
    The current CSU "Impacted Programs Matrix" shows the following for campuses in the LA/SD area:

- Psychology is impacted at Northridge, Cal State LA, Long Beach, Fullerton, and San Diego State
    - Psychology is not impacted at Dominguez Hills, Cal Poly Pomona, San Bernardino, or San Marcos

https://www.calstate.edu/sas/documents/ImpactedProgramsMatrix.pdf
    the girl who works at my community colleges transfer center told me that impaction doesnt affect whether or not ill get in, but whether or not they will have classes available for me when i get to the school. she said that she was accepted to ucsb with an impacted major and that she just had ot take other classes for a semester till there were readily available classes for her major which was psych
    Impaction defined by the CSU's, is that there are more qualified applicants than available spots, so at least for the CSU's it does affect if you get accepted or not.

Information for CSUN Transfer impaction: http://www.csun.edu/admissions-records/transfer-impaction

Here is the UC definition of impaction for transfers:
    Impaction::
    Majors designated as highly selective receive many more qualified applicants than there are spaces available. The stronger your major preparation, the more competitive you will be for these slots.

Seem to me that both definitions are the same.
  • CorbettCorbett Registered User Posts: 2,590 Senior Member
    My understanding is that the CSUs have two kinds of impaction: campus and program.

If a given campus is impacted, it will be harder to get in. The campus doesn't have room for all qualified applicants.

And even if you do get in, then it's still possible that your preferred program will be impacted. That program may not have room for all qualified applicants, so you may to consider am alternate.

In the LA area, Dominguez Hills looks like the easiest admit. Neither the campus nor the psychology program is impacted. So the campus has room for all qualified applicants, and so does the psychology program specifically.
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 8,093 Senior Member
    the girl who works at my community colleges transfer center told me that impaction doesnt affect whether or not ill get in, but whether or not they will have classes available for me when i get to the school.

This girl does not work in admissions at those sites, so you can't go by her personal experience (how long ago did she go to school? What was her GPA?)

The schools that are impacted are not going to admit you, especially with a lower GPA. Yes, it does affect whether or not you get in because you need a "seat". You can't crash all of your classes.
  • NCalRentNCalRent Registered User Posts: 4,721 Senior Member
    the girl in your CC office is wrong. contact the CSUs you are interested in and ask them directly. Sac, SJSU and SF State should all be on your ap list.