Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Chances? :)

tennis101tennis101 Posts: 138Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2012 in Cornell University
Do I have a chance at CAS? I applied for the biological sciences major (premed). I think my alumni interview and essays were decent. My letters of recommendation were probably strong.

GPA: 4.26 (top 3%)
SAT: 2290 (M:740, CR:770, W:780)
SAT II: Math II-710, US History-740

IB Diploma Candidate- Chemistry SL (6), Spanish SL (6)

AP Scores: Chemistry (4), English Lang (5), Spanish Lang (5), US History (5), World Hist (5), Human Geography (4)

Senior Year: IB English HL, IB Biology HL (double block), IB World Area Studies HL, IB Calculus SL, IB Theory of Knowledge, Orchestra

Extracurricular Activities:
- Varsity Tennis (USTA Champ level)
- School Orchestra- Violin (4 years)
- Teen Court volunteer- Juror (2 years), Attorney (2 years)- ~250 hours
- Spanish tutor (volunteer- 2 years)- ~100 hours
- Spanish Club (2 years)
- National Honor Society (4 years)
- Learning About Science, Engineering, and Research Club (2 years)
- Health Occupations Students of America Club (2 years)

Summer Activities:
- Biochemistry Internship (at a local university- I was paid a stipend)
- Shadowed doctors
- Georgetown University Summer Program (Medicine)

Awards:
- National Merit Finalist
- AP Scholar with Distinction
- 1st place in school science fair

Thanks for any replies :)
Post edited by tennis101 on

Replies to: Chances? :)

• ronaldorodillaronaldorodilla Posts: 70Registered User Junior Member
    if you don't have a chance...no one does. in other words, you have v competitive stats. if your essays were solid (mentioned specifics about your colleges' mission statement/majors/minors/focus) then that dog should hunt. all the best
  • tennis101tennis101 Posts: 138Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks :). I think my essays were okay, but they weren't spectacular. The only problem is that I don't really have any leadership positions. I guess Teen Court attorney could count as a leadership position since I was selected but I'm not sure. Oh well...the waiting is literally killing me. I should have applied ED but I was too indecisive.
    Does anyone else have any opinions about my chances at CAS? Thanks.
  • ethanoethano Posts: 174Registered User Junior Member
    Yeah you have a good chance, I'd be surprised if you didn't get in. See you in classes next year at CAS :P
    Thanks ethano. Congratulations on getting in to Cornell! I hope I'll see you next year too :).
    Anyone else? Cornell is my first choice, but I also applied to Rice, Johns Hopkins, and Emory. What do you think my chances are at these universities? Thanks.
    Bump.....................
  • ethanoethano Posts: 174Registered User Junior Member
    same thing to all of those as Cornell, you have a good shot
    Thanks. Hopefully, I can get into one of them.
  • IAmMarsIAmMars Posts: 89Registered User Junior Member
    If you're in NHS, then you must have leadership. That club was impossible to get into for me. lol :P

I'm interested in your result, my stats are pretty similar to yours and I applied for CS in ENG and CAS. :)

On a side note. Do you know if you received anything in the mail today? Some ILR and Hotel students have and now I'm even more curious.

Best of luck!
  • ktbl11ktbl11 Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    Your chances look strong.

As far as the question about CAS and Engineering hearing anything - you will not hear until the 29th. They are not rolling admissions. You will receive an e-mail with instructions about logging in at a designated time on the 29th to a provided link and then - there it is, your decision. The next day you will receive an acceptance via Fed-ex. I wish you all the best.
  • IAmMarsIAmMars Posts: 89Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks for the info!
    Lol...NHS at my school is a joke. We have 15 minute meetings once a month, and the community service requirement is less than the amount I have to do for IB. Yeah, unfortunately, we have to wait until March 29 for admission decisions. So far, I have been accepted at my safeties/matches, and I'm just waiting on these universities. I am convinced that they have already made decisions, and haven't released them yet in order to increase our anxiety :P.
    Hey everyone! I just wanted to update this thread since I recently received college decisions. So, I was accepted to Emory, wait listed from Cornell, and rejected from Rice and Johns Hopkins. I will probably be attending Emory next year (so excited for the neuroscience program) unless I miraculously get off the wait list for Cornell.
  • troy12troy12 Posts: 78Registered User Junior Member
    What would help your chances is being a legacy. Avg kid from my school got in while other much more qualified students got rejected. I know it happens at every school but it's annoying to see. The kid will fail out by the second semester. Good call Cornell.