Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Need-blind or need-aware?

rsaxenarsaxena Posts: 429Registered User Member
edited December 2010 in Cornell University
Is Cornell need-blind or need-aware for international students?? I've been through the website, but the international financial aid section doesn't say anything about it. It only states "Cornell is pleased to provide financial aid on a limited basis.......".

I downloaded the Cornell International Financial Aid application, and the opening line states that "Cornell has a need-blind admissions policy". It doesn't really state whether the same applies for internationals, and one of my friends says he's absolutely sure that Cornell is need-aware for internationals.

:/
Post edited by rsaxena on

Replies to: Need-blind or need-aware?

• PhoenixRPhoenixR Posts: 634Registered User Member
    "Cornell is pleased to provide financial aid on a limited basis.......".

Hence NEED AWARE.

But not very certain..
  • THAIDUYBINHTHAIDUYBINH Posts: 80Registered User Junior Member
    err....financial aid at cornell is complicated. It is need-blind in the admission round but need-aware in the Financial aid round
  • anriudhaanriudha Posts: 2,446Registered User Senior Member
    Need blind for American citizens.

There are only FIVE COLLEGES in the United States which are need-blind for internationals.

You may want to check this link out-
    Need-blind admission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • DrelnisDrelnis Posts: 622Registered User Member
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Cornell is need blind to international students in admissions but does not promise to meet demonstrated need once admitted.
  • useyournameuseyourname Posts: 85Registered User Junior Member
    Basically it's need-blind but not full-need (to internationals at least).
  • anriudhaanriudha Posts: 2,446Registered User Senior Member
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Cornell is need blind to international students in admissions but does not promise to meet demonstrated need once admitted.

Where did you get that piece of information from?
  • DrelnisDrelnis Posts: 622Registered User Member
    Admissions website I think
  • unlockedunlocked Posts: 220Registered User Junior Member
    Cornell is need blind to internationals, but they dont give that much money.
  • rsaxenarsaxena Posts: 429Registered User Member
    There are only FIVE COLLEGES in the United States which are need-blind for internationals.

Definitely incorrect. There are at least six - Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, MIT, Amherst. These six are also full-need.
    "Cornell is pleased to provide financial aid on a limited basis.......".

Hence NEED AWARE.

How did you reach that conclusion? "Limited basis" indicates that not all students get financial aid. I don't think that statement has anything to do with need-blind or need-aware.
    It is need-blind in the admission round but need-aware in the Financial aid round.

What on earth does this statement mean?

@unlocked, Drelnis and useyourname - what are the source (s) of your information? I'd definitely like some real clarification as to this matter. I know it's not full-need, but just clarify whether it's need-blind or need-aware.
  • susgeeksusgeek Posts: 1,603Registered User Senior Member
    In keeping with Ezra Cornell's vision, the university practices "need-blind" admission. Your ability to pay has no bearing on whether you are admitted. For eligible students, Cornell tries to provide a predictable aid package throughout the years of college.

Cornell University - Admissions - Overview

Cornell has implemented several financial aid initiatives to help ease the financial burden for undergraduate students and their parents.

Cornell has made the commitment to eliminate need-based loans for students from families with total incomes below $75,000, and cap annual loans at $3,000 for students from families with total incomes between $75,000 and $120,000.
    Additionally, Cornell has pledged to eliminate the parent contribution for families whose total family income is less than $60,000 and total asset value is less than $100,000.
    Beginning with the 2011-2012 school year for new students, Cornell will match the parental contribution and loan level of other Ivy schools from which students have received an offer, and will strive to also match the parental contribution and loan levels at Stanford, Duke and MIT for students receiving offers from those schools.

https://www.finaid.cornell.edu/finaid/welcome.cfm
  • memphismommemphismom Posts: 1,019Registered User Member
    however, International students are not guaranteeded full need. Admissions is need blind but for International applicants FinAid is not full need.
    @susgeek - I've read that, but does it apply to international students as well? There's no mention of that, which is what is creating a doubt.

@memphismom - May I ask what is the source of your information?
    Bump.

10 char