Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Does a C in a class mean no graduate school or medical school?

OnesOnes Posts: 176Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2010 in Cornell University
I felt like crying after I took my final today...I don't know what I got in the class yet, but I have a feeling it might be a C. If I do get a C (engineering math class), does it mean top tier grad schools won't accept you.. I know a C could affect you pretty badly..

I'm a frosh btw...very depressed frosh =(
Post edited by Ones on

Replies to: Does a C in a class mean no graduate school or medical school?

• AnbuItachiAnbuItachi Posts: 1,345Registered User Senior Member
    no it doesn't
  • dean5150dean5150 Posts: 318Registered User Member
    See: YouTube - You Got A "C" - The Hangovers - Oct 17, 2009

But really, I think you already know that you shouldn't worry too much because of one grade.
  • faustarpfaustarp Posts: 1,532Registered User Senior Member
    I remember how that felt...I had a pretty rough first semester, not like I was in danger of failing out, but I had a similar experience to you with math (though not eng. math.) I ended up getting below-a-B but I felt like I had no idea what I was doing by the end of the course. I've gotten a worse grade than that since then, but I've also gotten some hard-earned A's on occasion as well.

anyway, I truly don't think this will have a negative affect on your future. you will have so many more semesters and classes that this can't make a huge difference on your GPA, and you can show future employers, grad schools, med schools, whatever, that you are capable. definitely now is NOT the time to give up. if you feel like you've given it your best, factoring in that you are living in a totally new environment that places a lot of new pressures on you, then that's the best you can do. it makes sense that you would feel depressed, since it's no fun do struggle in a class...try to take some of that energy and think about what you can do better next semester.

also, specifically about grad school, I know that the sciences your GPA is important but your research experience and specific interests are also really critical. I don't know what kind of engineering you're doing, or what kind of grad school you're specifically interested in, but it's probably one of the ones where GPA is just one of many important factors. after all, you hear lots about pre-meds stressing about GPAs, but you never hear that about kids hoping to go to grad school, even though they're often in the same classes.