Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Official FALL 2012 Cornell Transfers

CluelessBelleCluelessBelle Posts: 81Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2013 in Cornell University
So, since no one's started one yet...Borrowed this format from the USC 2011 Decisions thread...hope no one minds

[size=+2]Application Basics:[/size]
Deadline: March 1, 2012
What's Needed?: Common app with supporting materials (midterm grades report, college official report, 1 or more instructor evaluation, essays, etc) + the Cornell supplement, Secondary/ HS and all college transcripts.
Source/ More Info: http://admissions.cornell.edu/apply/...n-requirements

[size=+2]My Stats:[/size]
    College/ Major Applying to: CAS, Biological Sciences
    Entering as: Sophmore
    GPA: HS- ~2.5/4.0; College- 3.6-3.7/4.0
    Units completed (Will have completed by the end of THIS semester): 13
    Units in progress (Spring 2012 courses) : 17-18
    ECs listed on app: National AMSA member, Psychology Club member, Volunteer for MVP; (In HS) Model UN president, H4H VP, State-wide DECA participant
    Job/Work Experience: Worked for 2 years at a retail boutique. Worked 2 summers as a receptionist at a small business
    Letters of Recommendation: Planning on getting one from my English professor

Other:
    Other schools applied to: USC, U of Miami, and UT Austin
    Comments: Excited, but extremely nervous!
Post edited by CluelessBelle on

Replies to: Official FALL 2012 Cornell Transfers

• something12345something12345 Posts: 289Registered User Junior Member
    Glad someone started this so I didn't have to haha.

Stats:

College/ Major Applying to: CAS, Econ
    Entering as: Sophmore
    GPA: HS- ~3.9/4.0; College- 3.7-3.8/4.0
    Units completed (Will have completed by the end of THIS semester): Not sure how to convert from quarter system, anyone know??
    Units in progress (Spring 2012 courses) :
    ECs listed on app: Business Team (leadership), teach chess to local youths, club lax, community service club, EIC of newspaper (high school), mentor to younger kids (high school), varsity lax captain (hs), chess team.
    Job/Work Experience: I've had internships but no paid jobs.
    Letters of Recommendation: Planning on getting one from my English professor and econ prof.

Good luck everyoneeee
  • CluelessBelleCluelessBelle Posts: 81Registered User Junior Member
    Nobody else is gonna join in?
  • Sean518xSean518x Posts: 217Registered User Junior Member
    AEM finance major / agribusiness minor hopefully enrolling in the fall. Ill post stats later.

Sent from my DROIDX using CC App
    Applying to : AEM
    Entering as : Junior
    College GPA : 3.7-3.8
    EC's : several internships, finance research, lots of volunteering
    High school GPA: 3.4
    SAT Scores : 1960 (math = 700; CR = 660; Writing = 600)

I doubt it will help much but im pretty close with an Alumna who heads up the Philadelphia region alumni association and is active in recruiting so ill get a good word from her as well.

I know my high school stats aren't great but I feel good about my college performance and im confident about getting in. However, I know its a crapshoot so well see.

• AnotherShot11AnotherShot11 Posts: 136Registered User Junior Member
    I was accepted as a freshman into CAS, but I couldn't go...hopefully they'll give me another shot!

College/Major: CAS, Government
    Entering as: Sophomore
    HS GPA: 4.0 (UW); 5.1 (W)
    College GPA: Probably around 3.9-4.0 (Straight As as of now)
    SAT: CR:730 M:740 W:760 1470/2230
    ECs: Solid high school ECs, volunteering
    How did you guys send the instructor evaluation form to your professors? Is there a way to send it online or did you have to print it out and have them mail it?

ALSO: Is the school report (for sophomore transfers) just a copy of your school report from last year?
    I just printed it out and had them write a letter and sign it.

• shadgloreshadglore Posts: 156Registered User Junior Member
    DO I STAND A CHANCE??
    …..In high school, I applied to only my current univ due to my financial background and had a full ride luckily. I self-studied for the SAT using some of the books in my HS library.I called the schools and they said my SAT’s are O.k with my country of origin and background.(I wanted to retake it)…Currently working on getting either a 4.0 or something very close to it. I am a freshman and taking courses in Gen Chemistry, Experiments in Gen Chemistry, Communications, Freshman Seminar, Intensive French (French 200) and Calculus 1.
    Any suggestions on the apps will also be humbly welcome (…I have written my commonapp “why transfer” essay.PS Let me know if you can critique it for me and I will PM you).

Challenges faced Growing up.(WILL IT MATTER???)
    As a son of a peasant farmer and charcoal seller in rural Ghana,I have had finances as a major threat to my pursuit of education. In high school, I had to combine my academic work with selling items like gum on the streets after school to cater for my personal expenses in a bid to supplement my full tuition scholarship from Ghana Cocoa Board.it was really, a difficult experience that I sometimes decided to quit school. However, my determination and yearning as a first generation college student to change things around me kept me on. Through my work on the streets, I was able to raise money to register for the SAT to get this far. Coming from a disadvantaged background where majority of teenagers fall victims to teenage pregnancy ,drug abuse and eventual school drop-outs, I know the value of opportunities and have and will continue to make the most of them. My Yesterday and Today have been rough and tough but with God and the zeal to succeed, I know a better tomorrow waits.

Applying to : Human Ecology
    SAT:2030(M 680 WR 720 CR 630)
    HS GPA: Intl so high school doesn't rank..but had all A's and only 2B+s on my transcript..
    WAEC Certificate Exams: 6A'S,2Bs(8 subjects in all)
    College GPA: 3.9-4.0(freshman currently)

Honors/Recognitions and Awards
    • Presidential Scholar, University (Students who maintained a High school GPA of 3.75 minimum and with an SAT score of 1890 and above. Awarded full tuition, fees, room and board and $1000 book scholarship )
    • Silver Prize ,International Royal Commonwealth Essay Competition, UK(2010)
    • Honorary Participation ,UNESCO- Goi Peace Essay Competition, Japan(2010)
    • Top 3% of Graduating Class, High School(2007-2011)
    • Nomination into National Science and Math Quiz Team, High School(2008-2011)
    • Best Student in Class, 3 Times, High School.
    • Overall Outstanding Student in Basic Education Certificate Examination, Junior High

Clubs and Activities
    College
    • University Student Ambassador (proposed a model to increase international student enrollment which is in use by admissions).
    • University Debate Team
    • University Publications Board(Only freshman on an 8 member board that writes and manages magazines for the University)
    • Honda All Star Campus Challenge Team,
    • Student Member, Korle-Bu Neuroscience Foundation( a registered charity headquartered in Canada with global reach which aims to provide medical support for brain and spinal injuries to the people of Ghana and West Africa)

High School
    • Main Library Prefect
    • Member, Writers and Debaters Team(2007-2011)
    • National President, Junior High School Alumni Ghana(2007-2011)
    • President and Founder, Read wide Club,
    • Vice President, Scholarship and Talent Club
    • Public Relations Officer, Future Leaders’ Group
    • Financial Secretary, Science Club and Pentecost Students’ and Associates
    • Member, Writers and Debaters Team
    • Revival Singers Choir

Community Service
    College
    • Monthly Donation of $10 to Korle-Bu Neuroscience Foundation towards the building of a neuroscience center in Ghana.
    • Collegiate Health Service Corp, (Research on the neurological and cognitive effects of drugs and alcohol on African American adults).
    • Metro General Hospital: Volunteer with City Healthy Start Program on Infant Mortality Reduction-
    • Tutor, After School Tutoring Program,
    • Tutor, Sunday School Kids Ministry at Church of Pentecost (2005-date)
    • Leading Praises and Worship at Church, Pentecost Choir(2004-date)

High School
    • Health Volunteer, Community Clinic,
    • Tutoring Sunday School Kids at Church of Pentecost
    • Data Collector on Infant Mortality, Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly (K.M.A)Ghana
    • Helping the injured athletes during sporting activities, Red Cross Society
    • Church Renovations’ ,Church of Pentecost ,Kumasi, Ghana
  • Pesevic83Pesevic83 Posts: 63Registered User Junior Member
    Applying to CAS
    Major is Econ
    High school gpa: 3.0 (graduated in 2007)

College stats: gpa 3.66 with 58 credits

EC:
    Football: 9,10,11,12 grades. Starting H-Back on Washington 3A 3rd place team at state
    Wrestling:12 grade. 10-1 invited to regionals, 3rd place at othello invite
    Tennis:9,10 grade
    Track: 11 grade
    DECA: 2 time first place finished at area, state champion in sports and entertainment in 2006. Flown to Orlando Florida to compete internationally
    DECA competition coordinator: 12 grade
    Walmart university: prior to becoming a manager
    Walmart assistant store manager: helped run $80+ million supercenters
    Volunteer work: over 100 hours for relay for life and cmn
    Worked at local Morgan Stanley branch helping design a portfolio
    Deans list spring quarter
    Presidents list fall quarter

Professor/counselor Evals
    -both said in top 1% they've encountered and wrote amazing reviews

Essay:
    -professors say one of the best they've read as well as a solid resume.

References:
    -have a ton of professional and professor references ranging from Morgan Stanley to Walmart.
    anybody??do i stand a chance??Because I am international student and I am scared.Any ideas??
    If you're set on coming to an American university I would apply to another safety or two as well but im sure you have as good a shot as anyone. Just wait it out.

@sean518x..Thanks but I am already in a US university..I'm just looking to transfer to a school with challenging academics and research opportunities..
  • QINGMO17QINGMO17 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    Applying to: CHE
    Major: psychology (now).
    High school GPA: 3.72/4.0 (Graduated in 2009)
    College stats: 3.5/4.0 in previous college with 48 credits, probably 3.7~3.8 in current one.
    SAT: 1920, quite low in CR...I might take it again, or do not send the score...

I am really interested in the major of human development, college of human ecology... but I hear about that there are many guaranteed transfers for Cornell's contract schools... Anyone knows the truth? Are there indeed quite a lot guaranteed transfers for CHE? Regardless of my ECs, essays,Professor/counselor Evals, etc. MAY I EVEN HAVE A CHANCE AS AN INTERNATIONAL TRANSFER?

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE~~
    I think you have a chance. Do you need FA? I hear FA is tough for intl transfers
  • Pesevic83Pesevic83 Posts: 63Registered User Junior Member
    Can somebody chance me? My stats have already been posted.