So, since no one's started one yet...Borrowed this format from the USC 2011 Decisions thread...hope no one minds
Deadline: March 1, 2012
What's Needed?: Common app with supporting materials (midterm grades report, college official report, 1 or more instructor evaluation, essays, etc) + the Cornell supplement, Secondary/ HS and all college transcripts.
Glad someone started this so I didn't have to haha.
College/ Major Applying to: CAS, Econ
Entering as: Sophmore
GPA: HS- ~3.9/4.0; College- 3.7-3.8/4.0
Units completed (Will have completed by the end of THIS semester): Not sure how to convert from quarter system, anyone know??
Units in progress (Spring 2012 courses) :
ECs listed on app: Business Team (leadership), teach chess to local youths, club lax, community service club, EIC of newspaper (high school), mentor to younger kids (high school), varsity lax captain (hs), chess team.
Job/Work Experience: I've had internships but no paid jobs.
Letters of Recommendation: Planning on getting one from my English professor and econ prof.
Applying to : AEM
Entering as : Junior
College GPA : 3.7-3.8
EC's : several internships, finance research, lots of volunteering
High school GPA: 3.4
SAT Scores : 1960 (math = 700; CR = 660; Writing = 600)
I doubt it will help much but im pretty close with an Alumna who heads up the Philadelphia region alumni association and is active in recruiting so ill get a good word from her as well.
I know my high school stats aren't great but I feel good about my college performance and im confident about getting in. However, I know its a crapshoot so well see.
I was accepted as a freshman into CAS, but I couldn't go...hopefully they'll give me another shot!
College/Major: CAS, Government
Entering as: Sophomore
HS GPA: 4.0 (UW); 5.1 (W)
College GPA: Probably around 3.9-4.0 (Straight As as of now)
SAT: CR:730 M:740 W:760 1470/2230
ECs: Solid high school ECs, volunteering
DO I STAND A CHANCE??
…..In high school, I applied to only my current univ due to my financial background and had a full ride luckily. I self-studied for the SAT using some of the books in my HS library.I called the schools and they said my SAT’s are O.k with my country of origin and background.(I wanted to retake it)…Currently working on getting either a 4.0 or something very close to it. I am a freshman and taking courses in Gen Chemistry, Experiments in Gen Chemistry, Communications, Freshman Seminar, Intensive French (French 200) and Calculus 1.
Any suggestions on the apps will also be humbly welcome (…I have written my commonapp “why transfer” essay.PS Let me know if you can critique it for me and I will PM you).
Challenges faced Growing up.(WILL IT MATTER???)
As a son of a peasant farmer and charcoal seller in rural Ghana,I have had finances as a major threat to my pursuit of education. In high school, I had to combine my academic work with selling items like gum on the streets after school to cater for my personal expenses in a bid to supplement my full tuition scholarship from Ghana Cocoa Board.it was really, a difficult experience that I sometimes decided to quit school. However, my determination and yearning as a first generation college student to change things around me kept me on. Through my work on the streets, I was able to raise money to register for the SAT to get this far. Coming from a disadvantaged background where majority of teenagers fall victims to teenage pregnancy ,drug abuse and eventual school drop-outs, I know the value of opportunities and have and will continue to make the most of them. My Yesterday and Today have been rough and tough but with God and the zeal to succeed, I know a better tomorrow waits.
Applying to : Human Ecology
SAT:2030(M 680 WR 720 CR 630)
HS GPA: Intl so high school doesn't rank..but had all A's and only 2B+s on my transcript..
WAEC Certificate Exams: 6A'S,2Bs(8 subjects in all)
College GPA: 3.9-4.0(freshman currently)
Honors/Recognitions and Awards
• Presidential Scholar, University (Students who maintained a High school GPA of 3.75 minimum and with an SAT score of 1890 and above. Awarded full tuition, fees, room and board and $1000 book scholarship )
• Silver Prize ,International Royal Commonwealth Essay Competition, UK(2010)
• Honorary Participation ,UNESCO- Goi Peace Essay Competition, Japan(2010)
• Top 3% of Graduating Class, High School(2007-2011)
• Nomination into National Science and Math Quiz Team, High School(2008-2011)
• Best Student in Class, 3 Times, High School.
• Overall Outstanding Student in Basic Education Certificate Examination, Junior High
Clubs and Activities
• University Student Ambassador (proposed a model to increase international student enrollment which is in use by admissions).
• University Debate Team
• University Publications Board(Only freshman on an 8 member board that writes and manages magazines for the University)
• Honda All Star Campus Challenge Team,
• Student Member, Korle-Bu Neuroscience Foundation( a registered charity headquartered in Canada with global reach which aims to provide medical support for brain and spinal injuries to the people of Ghana and West Africa)
• Main Library Prefect
• Member, Writers and Debaters Team(2007-2011)
• National President, Junior High School Alumni Ghana(2007-2011)
• President and Founder, Read wide Club,
• Vice President, Scholarship and Talent Club
• Public Relations Officer, Future Leaders’ Group
• Financial Secretary, Science Club and Pentecost Students’ and Associates
• Member, Writers and Debaters Team
• Revival Singers Choir
• Monthly Donation of $10 to Korle-Bu Neuroscience Foundation towards the building of a neuroscience center in Ghana.
• Collegiate Health Service Corp, (Research on the neurological and cognitive effects of drugs and alcohol on African American adults).
• Metro General Hospital: Volunteer with City Healthy Start Program on Infant Mortality Reduction-
• Tutor, After School Tutoring Program,
• Tutor, Sunday School Kids Ministry at Church of Pentecost (2005-date)
• Leading Praises and Worship at Church, Pentecost Choir(2004-date)
• Health Volunteer, Community Clinic,
• Tutoring Sunday School Kids at Church of Pentecost
• Data Collector on Infant Mortality, Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly (K.M.A)Ghana
• Helping the injured athletes during sporting activities, Red Cross Society
• Church Renovations’ ,Church of Pentecost ,Kumasi, Ghana
Applying to CAS
Major is Econ
High school gpa: 3.0 (graduated in 2007)
College stats: gpa 3.66 with 58 credits
Football: 9,10,11,12 grades. Starting H-Back on Washington 3A 3rd place team at state
Wrestling:12 grade. 10-1 invited to regionals, 3rd place at othello invite
Track: 11 grade
DECA: 2 time first place finished at area, state champion in sports and entertainment in 2006. Flown to Orlando Florida to compete internationally
DECA competition coordinator: 12 grade
Walmart university: prior to becoming a manager
Walmart assistant store manager: helped run $80+ million supercenters
Volunteer work: over 100 hours for relay for life and cmn
Worked at local Morgan Stanley branch helping design a portfolio
Deans list spring quarter
Presidents list fall quarter
-both said in top 1% they've encountered and wrote amazing reviews
-professors say one of the best they've read as well as a solid resume.
-have a ton of professional and professor references ranging from Morgan Stanley to Walmart.
Applying to: CHE
Major: psychology (now).
High school GPA: 3.72/4.0 (Graduated in 2009)
College stats: 3.5/4.0 in previous college with 48 credits, probably 3.7~3.8 in current one.
SAT: 1920, quite low in CR...I might take it again, or do not send the score...
I am really interested in the major of human development, college of human ecology... but I hear about that there are many guaranteed transfers for Cornell's contract schools... Anyone knows the truth? Are there indeed quite a lot guaranteed transfers for CHE? Regardless of my ECs, essays,Professor/counselor Evals, etc. MAY I EVEN HAVE A CHANCE AS AN INTERNATIONAL TRANSFER?