Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

My chances for Cornell ED?

upennvetgirl727upennvetgirl727 Registered User Posts: 509 Member
edited February 2012 in Cornell University
Honors Biology: B/B
Spanish I: B/B (Soooo stupid)
Honors American History: A/A
Honors English I: A/A
Algebra I: B/B

Honors Chemistry: B/A
Honors Spanish II: A/A
Honors World History: A/A
Honors English II: A/A
Religion: A/A
Psychology: A/A
Geometry: C/A

AP Biology/Honors Physics: A/A (4)
Honors Spanish IV: A/A
AP European History: A/A (5)
Honors English III: A/A
Honors Algebra II: A/A

AP Chemistry: A/A (4)
AP Spanish Language: A/A (5)
AP U.S Government: A/A (5)
AP English Literature and Composition: A/A (5)
AP Art History: A/A (5)
Honors Pre-Calculus: A/A
AP Calculus AB/BC: 5

National Geographic Student Expeditions '12 (Creative writing and Photography; have strong recommendations)
Fingerstyle guitar (composer, professional level); Classical Piano
1st place in a few notable essay contests (National level)
Linguistics: Kalaallisut, French, Latin and currently learning Japanese.
Polar Research
Astronomy Club (President); Rocketry (taught myself)
Quill and Scroll (President)

ACT: 34
SATII: Literature 800, Spanish 760, US History 740

Ethnicity/Gender: White female
School: Private Catholic
Rank: School does not rank whatsoever
Final GPA: 3.82/4.2

Major: English Literature
STRONG essays

I taught myself Calculus/Multivariable Calculus, and Rocket Science. I have a lot of ambition for mathematics. Unfortunately, I messed up prior to Junior year. I was immature, lazy, all that. I didn't take Algebra I in 8th grade when I could have. How stupid. I really made a rebound though and I have a fierce passion for learning. I'm not the same person as I was then. I've grown up.

PS: I'm taking a gap year in-case you're wondering.

Post edited by upennvetgirl727 on

Replies to: My chances for Cornell ED?

  • upennvetgirl727upennvetgirl727 Registered User Posts: 509 Member
    Bump 10char
  • mtbozemanmtbozeman Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    I would say a chance as high as anyone (so good), which of course is not completely predictable given this is an Ivy League school. Chance me?
  • mikeyc765mikeyc765 Registered User Posts: 1,347 Senior Member
    I'd say 60%, which especially in light of what freshman/sophomore years is impressive. Good luck!
  • upennvetgirl727upennvetgirl727 Registered User Posts: 509 Member
    Thanks! No one is applying to Cornell ED from my school. Will that help?

    So since my freshman/sophomore grades didn't really affect my GPA, they won't really hurt me? My poor grades were mainly in math/science, which at the time, weren't my strongest subjects. But I worked hard, and made them my strong subjects; (thus the 5's on the AP Calc AB/BC exams.)
    I mean I've seen people get in with 3.6's...
  • mikeyc765mikeyc765 Registered User Posts: 1,347 Senior Member
    Ideally, a lot of people from your school get into Ivies, but only you are applying this specific year (or at least are the only person applying ED). If Cornell has accepted people from your school in the past, that helps a lot.

    Your freshman/sophomore grades DO hurt you. There are people applying who did well all 4 years. But you managed a great turn-around. I didn't even pay attention to your AP scores, but those should help as well. I think AP score is better correlated to first year college performance than any other single statistic (at least from studies I've seen, and I'm guessing admissions knows this stuff).

    And while you've seen many people get in with 3.6's, keep in mind that's not the norm. I'd bet many more are rejected with 3.6's than are accepted. Also, admissions tends to have a good idea of the strength of schools and how hard it is to achieve a high GPA. So I'd venture to guess most people admitted with 3.6's are coming from schools with particularly difficult curriculums. Class rank (or if you can at least estimate your percentile) gives you a better idea of your GPA in relation to admissions.
  • upennvetgirl727upennvetgirl727 Registered User Posts: 509 Member
    I was around top 5%-2% freshman year, and then I went to a new school. I'm guessing around top 10-15%.

    My school is fairly new. Most go to UCF, UF, USF, FSU, etc. We've had like 2 go to the Ivies.

    But I mean will my freshman/soph grades destroy me?
  • upennvetgirl727upennvetgirl727 Registered User Posts: 509 Member
    My English teacher recommended Cornell for me.
  • mikeyc765mikeyc765 Registered User Posts: 1,347 Senior Member
    Hurt and destroy are very different. If they would destroy your chances, I'd have said you have a 5% chance of getting in. Instead, I said 60%. If your freshman/sophomore grades were as high as your junior/senior grades, I probably would have said 70%.
  • upennvetgirl727upennvetgirl727 Registered User Posts: 509 Member
    Cool, thanks. I had such poor grades in my freshman year primarily because I played the piano wayyy too much. I went home, and played the piano the entire night, and did my homework at like 1, if I felt like it. I really regret that.
  • upennvetgirl727upennvetgirl727 Registered User Posts: 509 Member
    Any more opinions?
  • cortana431cortana431 - Posts: 5,015 Senior Member
    Is this for ED next year? Just asking because I noticed you put senior grades on.

    Anyway, you are going to be a very competitive applicant, about 51-60% chance for you getting in, in your favor. Personally, I think you will get in, but I wouldn't be too surprised if you got rejected. Definitely a higher chance depending on how competitive and prestigious your "national essay contests" are, however that probably also means your application essays are going to be at least very good since you can write that well. I assume you're applying to the College of Arts and Sciences?
  • upennvetgirl727upennvetgirl727 Registered User Posts: 509 Member
    Yes! ED for next year.

    National essay contests = Alliance for Young Artists and Writers, Narrative Magazine, etc.

    What do you mean when you say "...but I wouldn't be too surprised if you got rejected."? Are you talking about my C in math?

    and yes, thank you. I'm applying to CAS.
  • upennvetgirl727upennvetgirl727 Registered User Posts: 509 Member
    Bump 10char
  • ColeneColene - Posts: 959 Member
    Sorry but if you are not top 10% in your school, your chances can be hurt quite a lot, as ~90% of students in cornell enrolling are in top 10% of their school and the rest are generally URMs/ recruits. I'd say around 20-30%, as your new school also does not have a very good track record (It is not very "new", because you moved in at your sophomore year. You are compared with their standards now). If they don't rank and there is absolutely no way of finding out, then I'd put you at ~40-50%.

    When you see people get in with 3.6s without hooks, it generally means they come from a reputed school - say for example, Thomas Jefferson where many kids can get into Cornell easily because they are a feeder school for great colleges.
  • upennvetgirl727upennvetgirl727 Registered User Posts: 509 Member
    I said top 10-15%... I just guessed. My god, it's not like it's set in stone.

    I said "fairly new."
This discussion has been closed.