Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Mark or Do not Mark Asian Box with Asian Last name but born in USA

chinatown212chinatown212 Posts: 5Registered User New Member
edited March 2012 in Cornell University
As all we know as Asian, our application are being separate from all other application (Asian basket)
and compete among high stats Asian with 20% cap admission.

Question is should we mark Asian box on application? or do not mark as Asian.
According to Princeton University sociologist Thomas Espenshade study ,
Asian-Americans needed a 1550 SAT to have an equal chance of getting into an elite college as white students with a 1410 or black students with an 1100.

what do you do ...mark Asian box or not mark Asian box

FYI
Harvard Targeted in U.S. Asian-American Discrimination Probe | Penn News
Post edited by chinatown212 on

Replies to: Mark or Do not Mark Asian Box with Asian Last name but born in USA

• cortana431cortana431 Posts: 5,015- Senior Member
    No, I'm pretty sure it's the other way around; Latinos and black applicants have their own group/admission officers.
  • floridadad55floridadad55 Posts: 2,262Registered User Senior Member
    You are 100% right.

I am not an asian, but the discrimination against Asians in college admissions is an outrage.

Since when in modern America is an individual officially grouped according to his or her race.

I would say don't check the box.

They are trying to kill your chances, so why would you hand them the knife in which to do it.

To me, checking the box is to voluntarily submit to the discrimination.
  • ColeneColene Posts: 959- Member
    They can pretty much tell by your name anyways.
  • HImomHImom Posts: 17,697Registered User Senior Member
    Not always--my neighbor is a Korean war orphan. He was the only non-white in his city or community growing up. He married a woman from Hong Kong and has two boys. Both of their them have names with NO HINT of their ethnicity, korean/chinese. Both were born in Hawaii and have a wholly caucasian last name! With adoptions, I don't think their situation is as uncommon as one might otherwise think. Their grandkids will likely have the same last name as their sons and be at least 1/2 asian.
    ^if that's the case, then it's fine.
  • 2Daswell2Daswell Posts: 230Registered User Junior Member
    Read this from a board:

"Stereotype is that Asians are book smart only. No, not true. Asian has great actors/singers/marshall art performers, celloist, golfers, ice skaters, comedians...

Most of the Asian kids in America are smart because their parents are smart (even compare to people of their country of origin). We don't see this 100 years ago and we won't see this 30 years later. It is just A GENERATION of smart Asian kids in America. So, I would hope top American colleges won't waste this radiant generation.

Just to educate people, there are three waves of Asian immigrants:

1st wave: 100 years ago. Most of them were railroad workers with average intelligence. Their offsprings are also of average intelligence. That's why we don't see many in the past 100 years gone to top colleges.

2nd wave: 30-40 years ago, graduate students who had to be top 10% of their country to get into colleges, then about top 10% of the undergraduates to be able to find scholarships to come to America.

These are the best of the best material in Asia. Their American-born children of high intelligence (many of them were in gifted programs when they were in grade school, middle school, and high school) are getting to college age in the past 15 years and I think will last for another 10-20 years. (most of them has talent in different areas: leadership, debate, music, sports... because they are smart, need less time to complete class assignments, and have time to do other extracurricular.)

Set higher bar for them just to reject some of them who are much better than most American population is not wise.

3rd wave: Recent undergraduate students in non-top-tier American colleges. These are basically kids who are not doing well in high school in their country but their parents are wealthy enough to send them overseas to the schools that want to suck tuition from them for English programs. These students are of average intelligence.

So, the 'smart Asian' generation will pass. Don't waste the opportunity to give them the best education they can have, they will do great things! "
  • placido240placido240 Posts: 636- Member
    You mark your ethnicity on the Common Application. I do believe that there is discrimination vs. Asians in admissions (think: UCBerkeley has about 50% Asians, do they really need any more from Illinois or elsewhere?). So, it depends on where you want to apply. In the South, for the most part, there are fewer Asians (only about 6% at Vanderbilt, for example), and so checking the Asian box will here you there. But, it won't help you in the Northeast or the West. Point being: if you intend on applying to a broad swath of colleges, don't click the "Asian" box -- if your last name is "Liu" or "Kim" you are hopelessly stuck anyway, so check the box. If your name is at all caucasian, don't check the box.
  • HImomHImom Posts: 17,697Registered User Senior Member
    Stereotypes are very limiting. A woman I know come over from China very young as a governess/home helper because she was an unlucky child. I believe she was born about 1900 or thereabouts. She was not book smart but was a very shrewd and successful businesswoman. She bought large amounts of real estate and built an empire that included real estate, hotel, apartments buildings, and retail stores (about 30 or more at its height). Her grandchildren and great grandchildren are still benefitting from her successes. Have not met many to equal or excel her deeds.

I don't think it's as cut and dried as was presented above,^^^ though it is an interesting idea. Do know quite a few Asians whose families came over to get away from the stresses of their home educational systems--Japanese and Chinese. They seem to be doing decently in the US.
  • IvygolferIvygolfer Posts: 528Registered User Member
    You cannot judge a person simply by there race. The AA system is barbaric. If we were all born in the same country, went to the same schools, watched the same movies, read the same books what makes us different? Am I more or less American becuause of the collor of my skin???
    I find the Asian stereotype not to be true in most cases. The most well rounded person I know is of Asian decent but has lived in America is whole life. He is super out going, runs marathons, is very cultured and could talk to you about politics, art, literature, or pretty much anything for hours, speaks 4 languages fluently, and the list goes on. At the same time there are 3 girls in my Micro class of Asian decent that have not said a word. They are completely mute! Who you are is a function of your upbringing not the color of your skin.
  • CratorexKwongCratorexKwong Posts: 35Registered User Junior Member
    Hmm I had this problem too when I was applying. In the end I just clicked the box. AA isn't designed JUST for race, it's meant to even the playing field by accounting for one's upbringing, community, and background. So that the poor inner-city black kid whose test scores are "terrible" compared to a rich white kid from a fantastic suburb has a chance if he's taken full advantage of the opportunities he's had. Isn't it unfair to reject every person with low test scores because they live in an environment that doesn't foster their intellectual development(just as it's unfair to reject a super smart asian kid for being asian)? AA was made so that all people could have a chance, and although I think it hasn't worked out great, I think that it's ultimately...not terrible.

Also you're not grouped solely by race in admissions...that's just not true. Adcoms group you into applicants from the same area. then you are judged from there.

@placido240. Your comment about UCBerkeley having 50% asians has nothing to do with AA since California passed a bill ending affirmative action in public schools. Thus, statistically superior applicants (often times asian) are accepted, leading to such a high number of asians at Berkeley.
    ^your post is very true.
  • IvygolferIvygolfer Posts: 528Registered User Member
    CratorexKwong
    How can you assume that all inner city kids are black or hispanic? If they really want to help the struggling kids they should do it by income. I know many kids who qualify for AA that come from great, well-off families, who have had every opportunity to succeed.
    ^And that is the drawback to the AA system...
  • alwaysleahalwaysleah Posts: 2,737Registered User Senior Member
    Ugh I know. I have a good friend who's black, and I love her to death but she's way richer than I am. She goes to CTY every year for free through the Centers Scholars program, and next summer they are giving her a paid internship. Because she's black. I feel so bad for the poor white kids.

OP, if you easily identifiable as Asian, I would just check the box. They're going to figure it out anyway. But if your last name isn't stereotypically Asian, hellll no you shouldn't check that thing.
  • CratorexKwongCratorexKwong Posts: 35Registered User Junior Member
    @Ivygolfer. I was just giving an example. But you're right, I didn't say that AA is perfect. However, if there was a very ambitious and talented white or asian kid living in poor conditions they too would get a leg up on others in a more wealthy area. I'm just generalizing though, of course there's going to be cases where it doesn't work out the way it should.
This discussion has been closed.