Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Spring 2013 Transfer Thread

Replies to: Spring 2013 Transfer Thread

• Chris1992Chris1992 Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    when are you guys submitting your midterm reports? and how are your grades looking?
    anyone applying to ILR- do you guys know anything about the interview?
  • serr113serr113 Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    Anyone know if Cornell accepts Spring Transfers for Chemical Engineering? Thanks!
  • james11223james11223 Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
    Engineers are rarely ever accepted because of the specificity of the program, but either way its past the deadline (Oct 1). So...if you submitted your application, you probably know that they are accepted for spring. And if you didn't...then I'd wait until the Fall Transfer period because you missed the deadline =/
  • serr113serr113 Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    I was thinking of applying for next spring (2014)!
    Any tips for actually getting in? I have 3.9 College GPA and a 4.1 High School GPA. SATs and ACTs not very impressive but it's been a while (4 years) so maybe I'll retake them.
  • tungtiedtungtied Registered User Posts: 136 Junior Member
    Chris, I'm trying to submit mine by the end of October. This will be my 2'nd week of classes, so there haven't been many grades yet. What about you?

I'm also applying to ILR. I asked Ian about interviews, and he told me they discontinued the practice. I did read that people were interviewed last year though, so I'm not sure.
  • ihopeitransferihopeitransfer Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Applying from: Brandeis University
    Applying to: College of Arts and Sciences
    Major: Economics
    Prerequisites Satisfied: Yes
    SAT: 1940 (630CR, 620 M, 690 W)
    GPA: 4.0 (36 credits)
    High School Rank: 32/650
    I'm applying to be sophomore

ECs: Class Senator, member of Debate Team (ranked #3 nationally), writer for school paper, Treasurer of Tennis Club

I'm concerned about my SAT score.
    What do you guys thinks?

I'm scared!
  • Chris1992Chris1992 Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    @tungtied, i spoke to them on the phone and they said not to worry about sending the MT report in a bit late since they understand grades not being in. I'm sending mine hopefully by end of next week which is around my MT time so i'll have a grade for every class.

and i also called and asked about interviews, they said they'll call if they have a specific question about our application (not a positive or negative sign, just to make a better decision on the application)
  • xtarionxtarion Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    Hi guys, am also planning on transfering in the spring of 2013 as an animal science major. I attend a university GPA: 3.74
    high school GPA: 2.5
    ACHIEVEMENTS
    Dean's list Fall and Spring of 2011-2012
    Student government- Representative of the college of health and science
    E.O.F A's Board student
    National Science Foundation Scholar ( ISSBB)
    R Miller Scholar
    LSAMP High GPA award recipient
    Summer internship at my school
    Biology tutor
    I am also a member of various biology clubs at my school.
  • mac415mac415 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    Applying from: Lehigh University
    Current Major: Bioengineering and Neuroscience
    Applying to: CALS
    Major: Biological Engineering (concentration in Biomedical Engineering)
    Prerequisites Satisfied: Yes (I'm pretty sure)
    GPA: 3.90
    EC's: (since college) Running Club, Peer Mentors, Peer Educators, Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES), Lehigh University American Medical Student Association (LUAMSA), Vice President of New Jersey Association of Blind Students (NJABS).

Internships/Work Experience: Summer Internship into freshman year of college at the local chiropractor's office. Summer internship going into sophomore year: worked with the Alliance for Sustainable Communities doing research and compiling a report for sustainable food policies on campuses.

What do you guys think? Also, does it matter if i only sent one instructor evaluation? Does it matter not sending SATs/ACTs?

Also, cornell emailed me today saying i'm missing some parts of my application (thanks to my advisor who can't seem to meet a deadline apparently lol). Do you think this will affect my application?

Thanks!
  • alanzhualanzhu Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    What is the acceptance rate for transfer students of AEM?
    If I'm not mistaken, AEM is a CALS major, which has a transfer acceptance rate of ~ 50%. However, I've read around that the AEM program is fairly competitive and might be a little more difficult to get into than just CALS generally.
  • xtarionxtarion Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    @ MAC415, I wanted to apply as a biology major, but i didn't complete the prerequises, the only course remaining was calculus. Have u taken organic chem and physics?
  • thefuture101thefuture101 Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    I am also applying for AEM.

Are they as strict about the recommended courses? I have completed bio 1 and physics but not bio 2.
    I've taken physics, but not orgo. I'm not sure when they say "One full academic year of Introductory Biology with labs or Chemistry I with lab and Organic Chemistry I" if they mean you should have staken at least two semesters of bio OR two semesters of chem (chem I and orgo I), or if they mean i need to have taken two semesters of bio AND at least orgo I.

@thefuture101 - i feel like they might be pretty strict about it. I remember reading somewhere in one of their brochures that one of the strongest attributes of a transfer application is that the student will be able to transfer seamlessly into one of their programs. However, if you are qualified everywhere else, i don't see why they might give you too much trouble over it.
  • LoneStar20LoneStar20 Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    So I also applied to Cornell for a Spring transfer and I'm super nervous!

School: Berkeley City College
    GPA: 3.7
    Applied to: CAS Philosophy Major
    Recommendations: 4 strong ones

My extra curricular looks pretty good as does my current internship at a law firm, plus my essays were all about how my Dad is sick and how I grew up with Middle Eastern activists, but I'm still pretty bummed out because I heard they only take a couple people for CAS :'(

CAN SOMEONE MAKE ME FEEL BETTER!!! This is like all I've been thinking about... NYU is my back up but I'm drooling over Cornell!
This discussion has been closed.